Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 08-20-2010

Default 1st tow 5er

Towed the 2010 Keystone Laredo 245RL 5th wheel http://www.keystone-laredo.com home last night and it's now in the driveway.

Advertised shipping weight is 7235, carrying capacity is 2565, so even loaded down, should be a piece of cake for the truck. However, it's the biggest loads I've had behind it since owning it. Before has been a 2-up snowmobile trailer, 3-up ATV trailer, and assorted landscape material loads, etc.

Maxtorq - we need to do a test drive - the tranny's slamming pretty hard into lockup. Ease my mind and tell me it's normal, or something?

Keeping an eye on all the gauges on the first pull, EGT looks ok, until we hit a stretch of road with 50mph speed limit, and the tranny's still in o/d ... EGTs climbed to 1200º... kicked o/d out and it dropped back to 900º. Transmission temps between 160º and 190º but mostly flat roads (so far). But ... boost .... wth? 5lbs of boost ... throttle, no throttle - 5 lbs - doesn't move. So apparently either my gauge went Tango Uniform or I have a plugged or kinked line? This is after the brake controller install, so someone was rooting around under the hood and dash.

Crap.

Didn't have time to check it out last night, as I got home just in time for one seriously ugly storm clouds to roll in. Figured sure as hell we were in for another hail storm on the new trailer, but just got a bunch of rain. Whew, dodged that one.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 08-20-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

Congrats on your RV, very nice.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 08-20-2010

Send a message via ICQ to bamacat

Sounds like a very nice way to camp. Congrats! Now get some shelter for the beast.
Tango Uniform ,LOL . Similar to OOC and OIA no doubt.Need a TFR on that gear,Sailor.PDQ.
Old 08-20-2010

Mystery of the inop boost gauge solved. In their effort to be neat and tidy under the hood, they gathered up all the loose wires, bundled them up and zip tied them. Unfortunately, one of those wires was my boost gauge hose... now kinked in 6 places ... oops! Oh well, easy fix.

Looks like they probed the hell out of my wiring harness at the back when they wired up the trailer connector, so those need sealed/taped/heatshrinked/something, and a couple of butt splices that have exposed wiring. Debating about taking it back to make it right, or just make it right myself.

Truck had a 5er hitch on it in a past life, frame rails already installed, so they re-used those to fasten the bed rails to. However, the frame rail only bolts to the outside edge of the bed rail. The inner edge of the bed rail is just bolted down thru the bed. Does that sound right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr1.jpg (27.3 KB, 17 views)

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 08-20-2010

Yes that is the way mine is. There is no way other way for the Dodges!!
Old 08-21-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

Yes, mine is the same way.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 08-21-2010

We need pics of the new 5er. How did it pull?
Old 08-21-2010

congrats on the new 5er.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 08-21-2010

Old 08-22-2010

Heading home from South Dakota this morning - quick trip. Up on Sat. morning for a niece's wedding, home this morning for daughter's 30th birthday this afternoon and son's 18th on Monday. Didn't drag the 5er up, since I really didn't want this to be the shakedown cruise and discover issues sitting on the prairie of Wyoming with an unhappy wife, so we drove the car and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express - does that make me a doctor now? Will get pics up tomorrow.