Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 10-24-2016

Unhappy Nv4500 rebuild?

So i was driving to work Friday and heard a loud pop and lost 5th gear. So i pulled over and looked everything over and didn't see any fluid pouring out so I assumed 5th gear nut spun-off. So today i pulled it apart and the nut was tight, pulled it off and no splines on 15 or the main shaft. Where can i get a good rebuild kit and how hard is it to do?
FluidAmpr Harmonic Dampner, head studs, fire rings, ddp 90hp injecters, hht exhust manafold, ported head, htt 62/72/13ss turbo
Old 10-24-2016

Dont want to steal post, but what fluid is everyone using now?
Old 10-24-2016
Super Moderator

They arent really hard to do. Lot of posts out there about how to rebuild it. However, end play is very important. Dont get it to tight or will burn up again and too loose will break everything again. PM Rob (Maxtorq) here and he should be able to point you in the right direction. May even have my old 2wd on still in his shop or at the tranny shop where we took it. I ended up just going to NV5600.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 10-25-2016

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfarmboy View Post
Dont want to steal post, but what fluid is everyone using now?

I got Amsoil from Herb for mine back when I put a reman NV4500 in my truck. It is a specific fluid, I almost wanna say its a special 75w 90 spec.
Old 12-24-2016

Nv4500.com rebuilds and has fluid listed. Same person as High Gear Transmission in Memphis. He used to,have new probably surplus transmissions but those are probably gone.

Decision is time, interest and tools vs money.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)