Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default 2006 ram diesel new starter solenoid current reflash

Anyone here heard of a reflash required for a starter replacement?
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ

No. Dealer tell you this?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I had to replace the starter: the note In the box stated that the new starter may draw up to 100 amps at the solenoid, and as such may exceed the 75 amp draw programmed into the PCM or IPC. I don't have the slip in front of me but it said that after, say, 250 starts it could lock the starter out.
I'm about to replace both batteries as I have had the truck laid up for a while and they don't seem to want to hold a charge now. Been to busy to work on it much and now it needs to be relicensed and will have to be snogged to get new tags.
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

have you changed starter most repairs can be done with a new brush and contact set thats heavier than OEM 210,000 and counting on 1 rebuild since new
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Pullinforme... When the starter is this big of a PITA you only want to do it once; the beast has almost 500K on it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I had to replace the starter: the note In the box stated that the new starter may draw up to 100 amps at the solenoid, and as such may exceed the 75 amp draw programmed into the PCM or IPC. I don't have the slip in front of me but it said that after, say, 250 starts it could lock the starter out.
I'm about to replace both batteries as I have had the truck laid up for a while and they don't seem to want to hold a charge now. Been to busy to work on it much and now it needs to be relicensed and will have to be snogged to get new tags.

FWIW the old starter probably drew around 250 amps when it went out on you. Normal starter draw on these trucks are about 125amps anyway.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Max
The current draw of the MOTOR is not what is in question. It is the current draw of the solenoid coil. Apparently the TIPM has a 75-amp limit programmed into it, from what I have read. I am just curious as to whether or not anyone else on the forum has run into this, and if so what they had to do about it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Haven't had that experience, but makes me wonder if that is why some heavy truck starters have 2 solenoids...first small one activates the primary one. Always thought it seemed ridiculous..
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Cascading solenoids/relays...what a concept!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Guess that would solve the overload issue for your TIPM... Use the stock wire to trigger a universal solenoid that triggers the one on the starter. So the TIPM never sees the 100 amp load.
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!