Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 03-23-2012

It's already setup for sea level temps.

Herb I have been reading and some ac owener state they are using AMSOIL 20W-50 in their ac motors and have zero issues. Have you heard of this?

96 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Auto, new project
Old 03-23-2012
Amsoil Sponsor

Yes I have heard that some have been using it, but it does not meet the mil spec.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 03-23-2012

Thanks. I'm just trying to find an additive that will be very good for the engine. Also seen where folks are using Lucas Oil, MMO, and STP additives. Now I did read and article that Amsoil did make AVOIL back in the early 80's. Wish I could get my hands of some laying around. The engine does not have an oil filter either. I would like to add one and again dont even see Amsoil offering one. Kinds sucks they dropped out of that market.

Old 03-23-2012

JFJ what do you think of this comment?

I took my first lessons in the Excalibur (when I was 12, no kidding) and got my license early. I'm 58 now and on my 12th airplane, have used MMO in the crankcase and fuel, 4 ounces per 20 gallons. No problems, no sticking valves and on a tear-down of one my Lycoming 0-320E2A engines, (my dad was also an A&P) my engine was sparkling clean, the wear was astonishing low (in fact the camshaft and crankshaft were the same limits as when new!.)

Old 03-23-2012
Amsoil Sponsor

There is probably away to install a dual bypass oil system, seen posts online some have been doing this to AV engines.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 03-23-2012

It is possible to have an engine meet new limits overhaul limits specs versus a serviceable limits overhaul specs at teardown. Lycoming,s Direct Drive O/H manual has a table of limits for every part in the engine to tell the builder what is wiithin "new" specs, "serviceable" specs or is just plain worn out. I see parts in 2000 hour engine meet new limits fairly often. As an aside you can legally call an engine overhauled EVEN IF you built it to servicable specs, it's won't last like a new spec engine will. A co-slacker had a 4400 hr 0-320 out of his Scareokee and we found we could have topped (replace only the cylinders) and been fine. The long and short of it is use the Aeroshell 40 or 50 Plus with a bottle of LW 16702 additive from Lycoming in the case, 4 oz of MMO in the oil will not hurt, however if you want an additive for your engine AVBlend is to my knowledge the only FAA Approved one on the market, the rest are FAA Accepted. If you want an oil filter get a remote kit from Summit and the needed fittings and use a quality spin on filter like AMSoil, K&N, Mobil 1 Pureolater Pure One etc.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon

Last edited by jetfueljockey; 03-23-2012 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: add content
Old 03-27-2012

Got another question for you JFJ. The engine currently does not have an oil filter on it. Do I get the parts to put a spin type on or install an inline oil filter were oil is pumped into the oil cooler before it get pumped back into the crank case?

Old 03-27-2012

I will take a look at the O/H manual and see how the oil is routed from the pump and get back to you. As long as the kit has a bypass in it I'm not seeing a problem with an inline install at the cooler as you can retain your presently installed screen. Oh, by the way your engine also has a suction or oil pump pick up screen in the sump that needs periodic inspection and cleaning. The gasket for this is P# specific and needs to be looked at at each oil change. Give me a little time to research it and I will post back. MJS
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 03-27-2012

You may install a spin on filter in the line from the engine to the oil cooler. Oil goes from the sump thru the suction screen to the pump to the cooler back to the engine then thru the screen, to the pressure relief valve and on to the engine bearings and lifters. If you have any other questions feel free to ask . MJS

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon

Last edited by jetfueljockey; 03-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: clarify content
Old 03-28-2012

You are a BIG help! Thank you! BTW, where can I purchase one of these manuals? What type of filter would I have to use? I have read on my ac forums that the high pressure can damage some filters. I'm enjoying talking ac motor with you BTW. Learning a lot!

BC