Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 09-13-2008

Default Amsoil Nano-Fiber airfilters.....

This is not a bash thread. Just a info thread.

There's been some heavy discussion on one of the other forums about how the Amsoil Air Filters are not performing as advertised. This has affected those with the filter on their trucks, the independant dealers, and forum sponsors that run a business. Icebox is not selling their system with the Amsoil filters anymore. And a couple businesses are dropping the Amsoil line because of this. Amsoil is not living up to the warranty because of their fine print disclaimer according to Steve Lepage western states sales manager. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Amsoil realizes the intake is a modification, but beyond that a person could chip, add a turbo, exhaust system, etc, and with enough modifications, a filter would collapse. If the only modification to the vehicle is an aftermarket air intake system, then our warranty would apply. If the vehicle has other modifications to it as stated above, our warranty does not apply. If there are not other modifications to this vehicle, we can have a tech rep contact the customer to begin the warranty process."</div></div>

The problems that ppl are starting to have are, the drop-ins are not sealing very well in some instances, there has been dirt inside of intake tubes after the filter, and there have been instances of the filters collapsing also.

As of now, my Eaa-189 is no longer in the truck. Over the past two weeks I have found that my filter minder was pulling down 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way. In this period I have reset the filter minder 6 times and attempted to clean the filter twice by vaccuming and blowing air from the clean side out. I installed a purolater drop in for now and the filter minder hasn't budged over the past couple of days.

Here's the kicker. I have only been running the Amsoil drop-in for 2 1/2 years and it only has around 45,000 miles on it. I am not even close to being in a dusty area out here in MD. That's barely half of its life expectancy as per Amsoil's advertising for the filter with the Nanofiber media.

Here are a couple pics of what it looks like. I did not have an issue with dirt in the intake tube like others have mentioned. My intake was clean. So the filter did it's job, it just didn't live up to its longevity hype. I think it's time to pull a Oil analysis early and check my Silicon levels.

- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch
Old 09-13-2008

Default Re: Amsoil Nano-Fiber airfilters.....

I have heard a few talking about this problem, I run the Amsoil drop in on my 07 6.7 (Ea-189) so far no problems, It has moved maybe 1/4 on the filter minder, I just re-set it. This patent filtration design is from Donaldson and filters very well, and is recommended for stock vehicles.

For 2 1/2 yrs of use IMO it don't look bad, and is picking up dirt as I can see in photo. I will post any info I get on this subject, thanks for the post NavyDood. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

First we have to remember that with the media used in these filters ,the filter minder WILL pull down . Reason being is that the amount of air that it flows comapared to stock.

The above filter that is shown is normal for the amount of driving that has been done.

Even these filters need to be cleaned like any other dryflow filter.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 09-13-2008

the way I see it, if it's pulling the filter minder down, it probably has tighter filter media and therefore is making your air even cleaner, however it becomes a restriction in the intake and could hamper performance, what is having super clean air worth to you?

PROJECT MAX-FREEK
p-pump 24 valve, evil intake manifold, evil cam, evil valvesprings, evil head, evil timing cover, arc-flow, needs a home '41 dodge?
Old 09-13-2008

Has been fine here. Over 100,000 miles.
Old 09-13-2008

Here is the TBS bulletin on the problem the Ford 7.3 PSD was having on air constraints.

https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techservic...rs%20EaA728.pdf
Old 09-14-2008

What about the open air filters alot of people use on the end of their intake tube. Many have replaced their AFE, AirRaid, and K&N's on trucks with many mods. Is this a concern now? I ordered a stock replacement for the wifes Jetta and and it will stay on shelf. Not for the efficiency though, it just looks like it was rushed to market as the molding process is pretty bad. Still running the oil in both vehicles tho' [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img] .
Old 09-14-2008

Alot of testing has gone into these filters, the filtration media used (nanofiber technolody) is a Donaldson patent and filters extrememly well, there are many customers runing both the EAAU conical and Ea drop in with no problems including myself. I see no concers on either filter. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2008

I just wish Amsoil made an air filter that would fit my intake.... aka straight on the primary turbo, but I can't find anything with a 5" flange, it goes straight from 4.5" to 6"

PROJECT MAX-FREEK
p-pump 24 valve, evil intake manifold, evil cam, evil valvesprings, evil head, evil timing cover, arc-flow, needs a home '41 dodge?
Old 10-30-2008

Here's a Amsoil 4510 nanofiber filter collapsing on the dyno. The truck is running a twin setup though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbYREcruos8
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch