Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 03-14-2007

Default Re: Why add MMO or 2 stroke? Am I missing somethin

ccmckee,

What is your additive. Want to share?
My first Diesel: A Light Khaki 2006 2500 QC SLT 4X4 SWB with Elect. Shift, Auto, 3.73, Big Horn, Anti-Spin Diff. Added In This Order: Chrome grill inserts | Stainless step bars | Bully fuel door | Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller | Line-X | Undercover tonneau | T-Rac racks | Rubber bed mat | Bilstein shocks | BFG 285/70R17 T/A KO's | Rear Wheel-Well Liners |
Old 03-14-2007

Send a message via AIM to NISMOramAE86 Send a message via Yahoo to NISMOramAE86

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim4Now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ccmckee,

What is your additive. Want to share? </div></div>
what i was wondering.
Frankenstein SV650s '85 hachi-roku
'91 300zxTT 2.5 Blata Pocket Rocket
Old 03-14-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dblr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lost Lake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just throwing 2 stroke oil in seems kind of dangerous to me. I'd rather dump in a pint of vegetable oil... </div></div>

Why would it be dangerous to use 2 stroke oil, it is not made to burn? Also I've seen people burn waste engine oil and not hurt any thing. My self I would rather use clean 2 stroke then pour dirty used engine oil in my fuel tank. In fact I do use 1/2 oz of ashless 2 cycle oil & 1/2 oz PS per gallon of fuel. Before I went to 2 cycle oil I used MMO & PS and have use this stuff for 12K with out any problems. Why do you think vegetable oil is Ok to use in your fuel and not ashless 2-cycle oil?

</div></div>

I just have heard that bio-diesel increases lubricity and burns cleaner... So, I figured, toss in veggie oil!

And really, running 12K is nothing for an engine that is made to go for 350,000 miles before rebuild with no additives whatsoever!

I'm not ripping on anybody for adding MMO, 2-stroke or even goat pee to their fuel, just wondering if anybody has any evidence that any of these non-specific additives work.

My mechanic recommended I add something, and said PS is good, he also said there were lots of good additives... so I add it. I guess if he told me to add bee's wax I'd do that too, because he knows his stuff.
Old 03-14-2007
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

This is the reason why I run PS . Used it for years with results.

The bottom pic showing is without fuel system conditioner. Also notice the flame pattern on the head in #3 cylinder.

http://www.dieselram.com/forum/ubbth...e=1#Post218655

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-15-2007

Great pictures! It doesn't look like any of the gas V-8s I have built though, so some things are hard to find.

I know the benefits of running additives, my question is which additives to run and it what quantities. Methanol, used oil, power steering fluid... I think some guys throw stuff in just because it is cool that the engine still runs!
Old 03-15-2007
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

I run 8oz's of PS every tank full. Never use used motor oil, power steering fluid or even tranny fluid as it will wreck the system.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-15-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lost Lake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know the benefits of running additives, my question is which additives to run and it what quantities. Methanol, used oil, power steering fluid... I think some guys throw stuff in just because it is cool that the engine still runs! </div></div>

Some people have brought up that PS & MMO has a lot of solvents in it and have questioned if all of that solvent is good to be run through our fuel system. One reason I have went to using ashless 2-cycle oil is because itís made to burn and lube when mixed in gas. Also if people donít try new things out how will anyone else know what does and does not work for extra lube for the fuel system?

Now if the EPA told the Big Oil Companies to put enough lube in our fuel to meet the same smaller scare wear that LSD provides along with higher Centane then none of us would need to use or experiment with PS, 2-cycle oil, MMO etc.

JMHO
Old 03-15-2007

I agree dblr... we need better fuel at the pump! I can see how 2-stroke would be beneficial.... I'm going to check into that...
Old 03-15-2007

I've alway been under the belief that unless you can scientifically/physically prove that adding additive X or Y or Z increases mileage or reduces wear and tear, then the missives put forward by those buying and adding those products is like curing an medical illness with bogus pills. Anyone can claim or say ya, my truck runs smoother, smoother than what, smoother than yesterday because it's warmer out, or , I'm getting better mileage because, I'm going downhill with the wind at my back. Bunk. Take 10 engines off the line, subject them to the same enviromental conditions, temperature controlled, load controlled, etc with and without additives and lets see where the results fall. Remeberthere's a lot of companies making claims that have been taken to task to prove otherwise.
Old 03-15-2007
Administrator

I run Lubecorp Super Diesel Plus in the fuel.It is made here in Calgary here is their website http://www.lubecorp.com/ . I also use their power train conditoner and coolant additive.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs