Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 08-05-2006

Default 2 stroke oil

Yesterday I put 4 ounces of tcw3 2 stoke oil in my tank at fillup. I've read on this site that it is good for the pump. Anyway, It seems to take a little longer for it to start now. Since the day I bought the truck it has sounded exactly the same when I start it hot or cold. Not now. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] Could 4 ounces make that big of a difference? First and last time for 2 stroke oil! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Brick.gif[/img] Back to PS and MMO.
'59 Chevy Apache SB, Fleetside, 12 valve with 215hp P pump (damn, she's heavy!), #10 Plate, Future 11 sec drag truck!
1958 Ford C550 Cabover, 99" wheelbase, 3-53 Detroit, needs some work but she runs and is in good shape.

Do you serve a purpose or just purposely serve?
myspace.com/tyjax_1
Old 08-05-2006

Default Re: 2 stroke oil

tyjax,the 2-cycle oil in small quanties such as you've added won't affect starting or idle.I've added as much as 8 to 10 oz per tank,every tank for several months.maybe you have something else going on.timing slipped or needing to adjust idle up a little.hope this helps.
1997 Ram 3500 Laramie SLT extended cab 4WD,auto, BHAF,silencer ring pulled. " SPAYED" kitty,4 inch exhaust. Air Horns.KDP tabbed.Timing set at 15 degrees.Custom Plate 1/2 way forward(sort of spin off of a 10). Billet TC, TC lockup switch, Isspro boost and pyro.
Old 08-05-2006

sorry didn't notice at first your truck is a 24 valve.scratch the idle adjust part.
1997 Ram 3500 Laramie SLT extended cab 4WD,auto, BHAF,silencer ring pulled. " SPAYED" kitty,4 inch exhaust. Air Horns.KDP tabbed.Timing set at 15 degrees.Custom Plate 1/2 way forward(sort of spin off of a 10). Billet TC, TC lockup switch, Isspro boost and pyro.
Old 08-05-2006

I have put as much as a qt of synthetic 2 stroke oil in my tank with no problems at all. That small amount you won't notice a difference.
Old 08-05-2006

Tyjax.........I have been adding one quart of 50/50 two stroke and MMO mixed per full tank for some time now. My recipe for "piece of mind."
Joe.............. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2006

Why the extended time to start? I don't get it. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Gonna check fuel presure when I get home.
'59 Chevy Apache SB, Fleetside, 12 valve with 215hp P pump (damn, she's heavy!), #10 Plate, Future 11 sec drag truck!
1958 Ford C550 Cabover, 99" wheelbase, 3-53 Detroit, needs some work but she runs and is in good shape.

myspace.com/tyjax_1
Old 08-05-2006

When to the parts store to get a female schrader valve to check fuel presseure. When I walked outside I notice a puddle under my truck! DIESEL! Looks like its coming out of the top of the tank. Also checked codes. Got 0122. WTF over!?! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Brick.gif[/img] Reset the apps, still get hard start. Think I'm losing prime through that leak. Gonna drop tank tommorrow. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Need a new fuel level sending unit anyway. Thanx for your help guys. I knew it couldn't have been the 2 stroke oil, but this all happened after I poured it in there and filled up.

myspace.com/tyjax_1
Old 08-06-2006

have tried ps/mmo,30wt nondetergent,2 stroke oil, ps alone and mmo alone. i feel the ps/mmo combo lets the engine run the quietest of the combos mentioned. this snake oil thing, does it work?
Old 08-07-2006

I continue to be amazed...

Cummins isn't dumb and they recommend lubricants that meet their standards and offer a 100k mile warranty based on service at THEIR suggested intervals. This blather about additive packages wearing out before a 7.5k or 15k mile oil change is foolish. It's just not happening... And Cummins offers a warranty to prove it! Dino and synthetics are both perfectly fine when changed as Cummins suggests.

For the folks here who insist upon altering plain No. 2 diesel... WHY? I can see bio diesel, but used motor oil? 2-stroke oil? MMO? I can somewhat understand P/S for certain reasons, but the other stuff??? WHY?
2004.5 White Laramie 2500 Ext Cab SB 4X4. 3.73's with Sure-Grip 6 speed. 19+ mpg (Edge Level 1) running empty. Don't mess with "Great White" unless you want to get spanked! Nobody expects 7000 pounds to move like that.
Old 08-07-2006

Maybe you'll use it after your LP leaves you on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Also, Cummins is changing oil ratings for the 07 ULSD vehicles. At present, it's the CH4 rating, for the 3rd gens. For those who will run the new ULSD, in the new 07 trucks, the Rating will be the new CI4, but for those who will also run the ULSD in pre 07 rigs, should be running the new rated oil with a different change interval. What that new interval will be?? I don't know yet.

Oh yeah, this will also make everyone happy, the ULSD will also be less efficient burning [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] , expect at least a 1% reduction in fuel mileage!
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."