Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 05-26-2011

That I understand and respect your choice.

When I was in a Dodge dealership in Calif 5 years ago, I seen a mechanic put in a WIX filter on another customers truck while I was waiting for my truck. I asked the service manager about this. He said they usually have Dodge filters in stock, but when their stock runs out and their waiting for the delivery, they use the WIXs 33585XE filter until delivery. Per this guy, they meet the same standards, but they prefer seeing their product boxes in the shop instead. (they are Dodge)

I never asked WIX corporate this question, and I guess I should. But many have before as you said and wonder if I will get a response.

2006 Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B Dry CAI, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil Bypass Filter Kit, Coolant Bypass Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel filter system, Mag-Hytec front & rear covers, 285 x 70 x 17

Old, Retired & Very Happy
Old 05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
That I understand and respect your choice.

When I was in a Dodge dealership in Calif 5 years ago, I seen a mechanic put in a WIX filter on another customers truck while I was waiting for my truck. I asked the service manager about this. He said they usually have Dodge filters in stock, but when their stock runs out and their waiting for the delivery, they use the WIXs 33585XE filter until delivery. Per this guy, they meet the same standards, but they prefer seeing their product boxes in the shop instead. (they are Dodge)

I never asked WIX corporate this question, and I guess I should. But many have before as you said and wonder if I will get a response.
On another dodge forum one of the guy there has contacted Wix several times and found out that the 33585 or the 33585XE does not meet all of the latest Cummins specs, part of the specs is that it filter at 7 micron Absolute, IIRC Wix filters at 7 micron nominal and would not say that it would strip water.
Old 05-27-2011

Well, soon it won't matter. I will be on Donaldson filters soon with the installation of the XX-Filter unit, and I found a place today in the next city that handles Donaldson and Baldwin filters. Have to pay normal prices, but it's only once or twice per year, and that's not so bad.

2006 Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B Dry CAI, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil Bypass Filter Kit, Coolant Bypass Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel filter system, Mag-Hytec front & rear covers, 285 x 70 x 17

Old, Retired & Very Happy