Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 08-16-2006

Default Re: 2 stroke oil

I have a serious question, and its not a smart*ss one or anything of that nature. It has nothing to do with mileage either. (I add the mixture to clean and add lubricate.)If PS is an injector cleaner, why would anyone wait until you have a dirty injector or injector problem before adding it? I dump a little in every tank to try and prevent it from fouling up. Am I the only one missing something here?
Old 08-16-2006

Ohhhh boy, here we go [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

You're not missing anything! "I believe" [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img] You're on the right track! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, I do the same!
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 08-17-2006

Berry -

If you've had a history of dirty injectors, if you regularly use poor fuel, if you add substances to your fuel that don't burn cleanly... Then maybe you have a valid question.

On the other hand you might be among those who take an aspirin on the belief that you might otherwise get a headache even though there are no indications of such. (I guess an aspirin won't hurt, but is it necessary?)

My point being that one can take radical measures to prevent problems... Which possibly can cause unexpected results in both our own bodies and with our vehicles, or...

We can fuel our human and mechanical systems with quality energy with the understanding that regular service is still required, or...

We can pour junk into our human and mechanical systems and attempt to counteract the results by dumping in even more junk or magic potions we somehow believe will work. Maybe we'll even pour in the good stuff, but most times the cattle are long out of the barn before we close that door.

I subscribe to the middle of the road theory. Service comes at regular intervals with products that meet or exceed requirements. I add nothing, nor has there been a need over the past 15 years. That's me, not you or anyone else in particular.

Others here subscribe to the theory that the use of additives will prevent possible problems. I question the validity of this theory based on my experiences. Adding expensive elixirs to my already trouble-free vehicles over a period of 15 years would have netted me nothing, save being out whatever the additives had cost.

The last theory is the one with which I have the most problems. It would seem to me that if we can afford a $40k truck with a $15k engine that dumping questionable substances into our fuel tanks might not be a display of superior intelligence. Further, when we add junk to our fuel systems intentionally, then attempt to counteract what we already suspect will happen with another substance... I just can't see the rationality.

I now call your attention to this seemingly endless thread where we've done everything from discussing the merits of two-stroke oil to nearly calling each other out for a duel. It's worth the read.

Somewhere lost in the thread is a discussion about the "ashless" properties of two-stroke oil. The theory being that addition of lube oil to our fuel will increase pump life, but the worry being that two-stroke oil is not entirely ashless. So, what to do?

Should we add oil designed for gasoline engines to our fuel and hope it's ashless? How about we add the oil, then add P/S and MMO to counteract the possible problems we've created? Interesting!

I have to ponder if we shouldn't avail ourselves to a dose of bio-diesel, along with mostly dino diesel should we feel the need for lubrication. After all, the bio has superior lube qualities and is known to burn cleanly. Mixed in minor proportions there's not a gelling issue to really be concerned about, and I have no problems with a dose of P/S in really cold weather to prevent known POSSIBLE clouding.

Then there's the question of whether any of this makes much difference at all. Some say yes, others say no. It's not for me to tell you what to do. All I can do is ask you to think before you decide.
2004.5 White Laramie 2500 Ext Cab SB 4X4. 3.73's with Sure-Grip 6 speed. 19+ mpg (Edge Level 1) running empty. Don't mess with "Great White" unless you want to get spanked! Nobody expects 7000 pounds to move like that.
Old 08-17-2006

I'll Da@# sure think twice before mentioning 2 stroke oil here again!! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/slap.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
'59 Chevy Apache SB, Fleetside, 12 valve with 215hp P pump (damn, she's heavy!), #10 Plate, Future 11 sec drag truck!
1958 Ford C550 Cabover, 99" wheelbase, 3-53 Detroit, needs some work but she runs and is in good shape.

Do you serve a purpose or just purposely serve?
myspace.com/tyjax_1
Old 08-17-2006

We can argue this till the cows come home, jut depends on how technical one thinks they should be. A continuous application of whatever one wishes to pour into their tank, will not hurt anything or anyone, just add a bit to their fuel cost. If this isn't an issue, why should anyone care, it's not coming out if anyone else's pocket but that individual.

The aspirin theory may not be to far off. It doesn't hurt..

I don't believe in the theory of adding additives, is a radical step, the human body is completely a different story, but that aspirin still doesn't hurt, unless you're allergic to aspirin.

The middle of the road theory is accurate, there should be a regular maintenance interval and "I believe" many here do. What I don't believe is, the stated theory, some use additives that will or may prevent possible problems. I don't believe this to be accurate or true at all, JMO. I think the failure to understand is, adding the additive regularly, aids to maintain the cleanliness of the injectors and fuel system, not to fix a problem. Now, the aspirin theory could come into play.. Again, we all could question the validity of anything any of us do, till the cows come home, again.. Does this hurt anything?? I seriously doubt it. It's just a preference one has or wishes to do. Does it make this right or wrong?? There is no right or wrong, but for some it might. To each his own. As to cost, who cares, if no one else is footing the bill, why should it matter. If it effected the tax-payer, then we could all bit*$.

The substance we use isn't really questionable, you know what you buy when you buy it, for what you're buying it for. "I believe" the superior intelligence theory, doesn't hold water. No one here has ever had problems with pouring in additives to pour in another additive to counteract what the first additive caused or did. This hasn't or is an issue.

2-stroke oil, no one has or can tell us just how clean or ashless it really burns, no one here knows.. What we do know is, it is the cleanest burning available, so it is used over other oils. Yes it was designed to be mixed with gas, but also mixes with diesel w/o any problems or issues and can be used with diesel. "I believe" an issue is being created (topics discussed here) that doesn't exist. But non the less, a topic for good discussion.

Bio on the other hand, is a great alternative.

Your last little paragraph is the best.
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 08-17-2006

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by berry, c:

If PS is an injector cleaner, why would anyone wait until you have a dirty injector or injector problem before adding it? I dump a little in every tank to try and prevent it from fouling up. Am I the only one missing something here?
</div></div>That appears to be the crux. It seems to me that the one side of the argument is that certain additives are preventative maintenance - that may or may not provide other benefits - and should be used routinely.

The other side says that the additives may clean parts of the fuel system - restoring normal operation, but are essentially useless when such cleaning is not required.

I think. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

I'm on the fence, watching with interest. When the dust settles, I'll go do my own thing. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

2002 2500 ISB 245/505 NV5600 4x4 3.55's QC LWB: VP44 #2, FASS#2, AEM Bruteforce, Adjustable boost elbow, Edge Mileage Max. Boost, Pyro, Fuel PSI gauges on pillar, Line-X, DrawTite 18K Signature 5th wheel hitch - Van Aaken deleted
New front drive shaft at 240k km, Transfer case rebuild at 296k km, New water pump at 297k km
Other Trucks: 2012 Chevy Express AWD (for the wife)
2011 Victory Cross Roads
1987 International Navastar with 9 Liter normally aspirated V8 diesel (177bhp!)
Old 08-17-2006

This isn't Rocket Science!!! It is, blown way out of proportion.

Bottom line is, whatever works for you is great. This doesn't mean it will work for everyone and not everyone will agree. To each his own. One thing for sure, it hurts nothing and only lubricates more. Why should anyone care how much or what I spend on my truck or what I pour into it?? It's not yours and you don't pay for it. One thing most here do is, discuss it!

Old 08-17-2006

Oh good the cows just got back. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Guess the argument is over. Man this is a long post. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] After reading this I don't beleive anyone is wrong here.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 08-18-2006

Nighty night [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]