Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 11-30-2021

Default Possible headgasket issue

Well the truck starting to give me some trouble again. Replaced my turbo with a stock replacement from ATS aurora 3000 VFR in July. It seems this issue occurred shortly after I installed the turbo. When I purchased it the first thing I asked if this will cause a head gasket issue and was told the pressures should remain the same.

Anyways, the truck took a beating this summer in the heat as well as the trans all issues seem to arise around the same time and while towing my 10,000lb toy hauler.

The issue I am having currently is my radiator seems to maintain a 1-2L air gap and over weeks the overflow bottle gets a little more volume. So far I don't believe I have lost any coolant and every 2-3 weeks I put the 1-2 liters back in the radiator and after one or 2 short drives the air gap comes back. Also the top rad hose is hard/pressurized. Once cooled the pressure is greatly reduced. Realistically, how long can I run the truck like this. I don't see much more risk other than eventually losing all my coolant if the leak increases.

I have not tried replacing my rad cap to see if it is a failed rad cap. I have 160K km on the truck.

Thanks for any input,

Andrew

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 12-01-2021

A way to check to see if you are getting gas bubbles in your coolant is to get the engine up to temp, SLOWLY remove the cap and see if you see any bubbles coming up. If so, probably a head gasket. If not, you may have a coolant hose collapsing pushing coolant into the bottle.
Old 12-02-2021

or a failed thermostat
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 12-02-2021

They make a little dohickey you put in place of the radiator cap and run the engine and it detects CO2....I believe there's a test liquid that changes color if exposed to CO2.
Long as the engine temp is normal and there's no mixing of oil and water and such you could probably go a while, but if it ever fills a cylinder you're fubared!
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 12-03-2021

Thanks all. I will try the radiator cap trick the fact that an air gap continues to happen I would need to fill radiator to the top. I have gas detectors at work wonder if I put the vacuum hose in the radiator air gap to see if I get any CO as this would indicate exhaust leaking in there?

One thing else I noticed is my engine temp regularly gets up to 206-208 and sometimes stays there for several seconds when I am just cruising with no load. Then thermostat opens and drives down to 197. I never really paid much attention before so not sure if this is normal. My water bump is still original but not giving me any signs of failure yet.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 12-14-2021

Did you ever find anything?
My 09 runs around 200 but haven't watched it real close.
Seems about normal for the newer generations.

It's also been loosing coolant very slowly for a while now.
I finally found a quick connect fitting on the rear right of the engine for the heater hose that leaks until it gets good and warm, just enough to be wet around the fitting and smell antifreeze for a few minutes. By the time I drive 10 miles it's warm enough to stop leaking and evaporate the leaked fluid. I'll change it one day...
Old 12-14-2021

Just a thought while reading back...Any chance the overflow hose would have a small air leak?
Ya know air is thinner than water..
Old 12-14-2021

cheap fix replace thermostat and make sure rad is clean its gets clogged and the only way to properly clean is to remove coolers etc and then clean a little labor and 15.00 parts and YOU know I was taught the KISS method Keep It Simple Stupid it has very rarely let me down
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 12-14-2021

So I have not had anytime to trouble shoot further. I plan to take a gas detector home and see if I get any exhaust gasses out of the rad. I am sure this is not a normal method. I am pretty sure I am not losing any coolant. I could look at replacing thermostat. Never done one before on these trucks. The truck just wont keep a full radiator always down a liter or 2. Every time I transfer 2 L from the over flow to the rad it pushes back. I was tempted to just take the coolant out of the overflow back to the full line and keep monitoring. The weather is just crap here so just driving it a few times a week and monitoring. No towing

Last edited by Armilaria; 12-14-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-14-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Just a thought while reading back...Any chance the overflow hose would have a small air leak?
Ya know air is thinner than water..
I will look at it. If it does have an air leak what would this cause? The rad cap is perfectly clean and looks good. I have thought about replacing it just because.