Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 12-15-2021
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ

Truck still have the EGR cooler attached? Even though you say it has been deleted?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-15-2021

No, the EGR cooler has been removed.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 12-17-2021

If the overflow hose had a very small leak, it would push the water into the reservoir under pressure from the radiator, but when it cooled it would siphon air instead of pulling the water back in letting the air pocket grow. It would eventually reach a point where the water in the engine didn't expand enough to overflow and stay at that level.
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 12-19-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
If the overflow hose had a very small leak, it would push the water into the reservoir under pressure from the radiator, but when it cooled it would siphon air instead of pulling the water back in letting the air pocket grow. It would eventually reach a point where the water in the engine didn't expand enough to overflow and stay at that level.
Well this sums up my problem. However, could not find any leak in the hose. Finally today it is not pouring rain or snowing! Will take a closer look. Currently it seems like it has been stable but overflow bottle a few inches over full and the top rad hose dose not vacuum back like it is supposed to and has no coolant init when not running.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 01-11-2022

Thought I would give an update. Lost my heat on the way to work today. The weather here has been bad and have not have had a lot of time to spend on it. Today with the new symptom of ice cold heat checked the following:
1. Rad still only down 2 ish liters
2. does not seem to be pressurized when I remove rad cap anymore. Gas detected 15 ppm of CO in rad when I removed cap
3. Topped it back up and no other leaks found. Assuming I will get heat back for a little bit until coolant gets pushed back in overflow.

I guess I start looking for a shop to do this work. Sucks the HG are so weak in these trucks. My 5.9 held strong with a ton of extra HP.

Old 01-13-2022

So it turned out that I was actually short several liters maybe 3 or 4 and was air locking the the heat exchangers in the cab. My water pump is now leaking which is a new issue. finally got to take a look at it in a shop replaced the water pump last night. Looking at my belt I should have replaced that too but hoping it lasts a bit longer. The water pump once removed felt smooth and had no play in the bearing but the seal was going and coolant coming out of the weep hole. At 160k km I feel I got good life from it. I wonder if the seal failed due to extra pressure building? Will monitor it but I am pretty confident this will not be fixing the issue and all roads leading to HG repair.

Old 01-16-2022

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 01-18-2022

This should prove its not a head gasket it would not last a year of driving
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 01-21-2022

So now the water pump is fixed and from what I can tell there is no other coolant leaks in the system I still have some symptoms:
1. The engine temps seem to act strange. the temps rise pretty quick with a little throttle and will sit at cruising speed around 208 for seconds even 210 then thermostat opens. It just seems to clime quickly and appears erratic as well. Since I am throwing parts at it I was thinking changing out thermostat.
2. After replacing coolant from water pump job I filled overflow around the low maybe a bit lower. after a week of driving it short distance to work and to the hunting grounds I am a half inch over high mark and slowly climbing. Not sure if this will continue until it fills the overflow to the top. time will tell.
3. Also top rad hose and system seems to be under pressure after cooled even days of sitting.

I tried running it with the rad cap off and engine was maybe warm, engine coolant bubbled out of the rad. more like burped but this was before water pump replacement I think.

Since hunting season ends today I wont be driving the truck daily. Time to find some help as I feel I am at the end of my trouble shooting ability.

Old 01-22-2022

Did you burp the head after replacing pump?
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS