Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-25-2006

Default Cummins over strokers?

Is it just me or is the Cummins a superior motor over the Powerstroke?????

I gotta say... I love the Cummins! I have owned two powerstrokes...yeah they had power and I hauled a lot of weight around with both of them, but the Cummins is so much better. The Fords both felt really sluggish and heavy. The Dodge 2500 is by far the best diesel truck I have ever owned. I pull a trailer with a skid steer on it around town all the time and it pulls the same if not better. I'm the first in my family to stray from the Ford tradition, but hey I was sick of having my 2001 Stroke at the shop. I'll bet within a year or so...the rest of the family will follow to Dodge!
Old 01-25-2006

Default Re: Cummins over strokers?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by anthem:
[QB] Is it just me?
Is the Cummins a superior motor over the Powerstroke?

1.No
2.Yes

Kirk
Old 01-25-2006

I traded my 2003 Ford 250 Powerstroke and loved the truck, BUT WOW do I love this new Dodge...
Old 01-25-2006

Put the Cummins in a Ford and there would not be a better truck on the planet....
Old 01-25-2006

one better would be a Unimog [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2006

traded my 2000 powerstroke for 06 dually sorry i did, i got 20 mpg on my ford this o6 is getting 15 mpg
Old 01-26-2006

well i have had older dodge cummins,and older ford powerstrokes,i dont mod any of them as for adding fuel.i will say the fords treated me the best by a long shot.engine wise i have had no probs out of either the ford or dodge,but i liked the overall performance [heavy loaded]of the ford the best.get up to the newest trucks and i prefer the new common rail over the 6.0 ford.with few exceptions ,i feel dodge and cummins has got with the program on there trucks.i'am a big fan of the 7.3 engines,but the 6.0 and the high ford price tag has driven me away for awhile.crawling around my 02 ford,and then my 05 dodge,i find there are some things i prefer about the ford,but overall i'am still happy with the dodge.
Old 01-26-2006

Go to some of the Ford diesel forums and spend a little time. The 6.0 Ford has caused alot of grief for people. The 7.3 however was and is a nice engine. I have both Cummins and Ford 7.3. I would not buy the 6.0 Ford engine, period. My brother has a Ford with 6.0 and has had no problems in 18 months and 43,000 miles, but I think he says his prayers every night! If Ford changed to Cummins, it would be an awsome outfit.

Best wishes

kwz
Old 01-26-2006

I think Ford trucks were built better up until 1997. When the 1999 model SuperDuties came out Ford lost me. The design never grew on me and their styling was boring. The 7.3 Powerstroke was a good motor but it had its shortcomings. There was no limp home mode if the crank position sensor failed and the truck would just die on you. I'm not crazy about the glow-plugs either.

I think Cummins owes much of its reputation to the 12 valve engine and it is a shame they don't produce it anymore. The 24 valve HPCR seems good, we'll have to see how the fuel injection system holds up. I'd still take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day. Inline sixes rule.

And the Dodge body isn't all that bad; our interiors look better and the overall design of the body is cleaner IMHO. I do wish Dodge built a real crew cab truck with a long bed. The megacab was a good idea but their design doesn't appeal to me. I feel the engineers could have done better.
Old 01-28-2006

Go to Ford-Cummins , they have a very nice rod comparo between the PS and Cummins. Less moving part+simpler design+QUIETER= [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
It also seems like a good idea to copy a bigger motor that will easily get a Million Miles. I dunno. It seems that there will always be brand loyalty, and IMHO most new trucks today are well built machies, each having their goods and bads. It all comes down to 4 things: 1:Brand Loyalty 2:Test Drive Impression 3:Friend's/Other's Opinions and 4: PRICE ($52,000 is a LOT to swallow for a King-Ranch)
Diablo Sport Power Puck
3.73 LTD Slip
MB Quart/Alpine/Phoenix Gold System
Inferno Red
Smith's Ultimate Linings Spray-in Bed Liner
Reese 16k Dual Pivot Hitch
Firestone RideRite Airbags
Keystone Laredo 315RL Fifth Wheel
SWEEEEEEET