Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-22-2006
Chris H.'s Avatar
Chris H. Chris H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,930
Default 17" truck tires..what to get?

I suppose that it is time to pick all of your minds about truck tires. I got stuck in the local Burger King drive through in 4 wheel drive and it was a sad thing. This is a list of tires that I have been looking at:

Nitto 295/70/17- am a little concered with warrenty issues, loosing towing performance with such a big tire. The tire is 33.19" tall D rating of 3195, off raod and snow/ice is great. Does anyone think that the 1.65" in tire diameter will affect me?

BFG AT KO 285/70/17- Tread wear is a concern, but I would rather have traction than slipping all over the place. I have done a lot of researce on these tires from what others have rated them, and most say they are o.k. in snow and ice with heavy trucks, and do not last. The average was around 28K miles. These tires are very pricy for what you get. D rating 3195

Discoverer ST 265/70/17- this tire is a very aggressive AT, my work uses them and they seem ot work pretty good. load range E 2950

Discoverer ATR 265/285/70/17- looks like a good AT. anyone use them?

Discoverer STT 265/70/17 MT -looks very agressive tire, good wear caracteristics. load range E 3195

Michelin LTX M/S 265/70/17- They make a good tire, just a little concerned with mileage. My factory A/S are at 26K and they are 55-60% gone, and I need the traction. Anyone running these tires?

I tow on the road 65% of the time and the rest is off road with 6-7K lbs. The offroad towing sometimes is snowy, mud or steep. I also go to our property in the mountains with and without the trailer (no paved roads). This truck isn't a DD and is driven in snow storms, other than that it sits. I just want to see what your experiences with different tires have been. Thank you for any input. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
__________________
2002 HO...sold
2012 Tundra
  #2  
Old 01-22-2006
coobie coobie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: southern,michigan
Posts: 316
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Halvorson:
I suppose that it is time to pick all of your minds about truck tires. I got stuck in the local Burger King drive through in 4 wheel drive and it was a sad thing. This is a list of tires that I have been looking at:

Nitto 295/70/17- am a little concered with warrenty issues, loosing towing performance with such a big tire. The tire is 33.19" tall D rating of 3195, off raod and snow/ice is great. Does anyone think that the 1.65" in tire diameter will affect me?

BFG AT KO 285/70/17- Tread wear is a concern, but I would rather have traction than slipping all over the place. I have done a lot of researce on these tires from what others have rated them, and most say they are o.k. in snow and ice with heavy trucks, and do not last. The average was around 28K miles. These tires are very pricy for what you get. D rating 3195

Discoverer ST 265/70/17- this tire is a very aggressive AT, my work uses them and they seem ot work pretty good. load range E 2950

Discoverer ATR 265/285/70/17- looks like a good AT. anyone use them?

Discoverer STT 265/70/17 MT -looks very agressive tire, good wear caracteristics. load range E 3195

Michelin LTX M/S 265/70/17- They make a good tire, just a little concerned with mileage. My factory A/S are at 26K and they are 55-60% gone, and I need the traction. Anyone running these tires?

I tow on the road 65% of the time and the rest is off road with 6-7K lbs. The offroad towing sometimes is snowy, mud or steep. I also go to our property in the mountains with and without the trailer (no paved roads). This truck isn't a DD and is driven in snow storms, other than that it sits. I just want to see what your experiences with different tires have been. Thank you for any input. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
</div></div>I just had the bridgestone dueler a/t revos installed and love them.I stayed with the stock tire size (265-70R 17,s) in the e-rated tire also.I paid $746 mounted and balanced out the door for 4 tires.There is also some good info and reviews at <a href="http://www.tirerack.com" target="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com</a> on tires.coobie [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
__________________
2004 Ram 2500,5.9 H.O.4X4 westin cps boards,astro cap,megs stainless exhaust tip.Almond pearl/silver.Billet grill.Factory seat covers.Wheel well liners,PIAA 80xt pro fogs on the manick grill guard,X monitor gauge.Fass 150.BD power pup.Afe 2 proguard 7,goerend brothers TQ&VB,bilstein 5100,s,Autometer fuel pressure ga.
  #3  
Old 01-22-2006
MikeyB MikeyB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tomball, Texas
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

Don't think Michelin makes the LTX M/S in 265/70/17 in load range E yet.

MikeyB
__________________
'03 2500 2wd SWB QC, 305/555, NV5600, 3.73LS, Laramie, Line-X, Westach combo gauge, airbox mod w/Amsoil Ea, Fogzilla, SMARTY, PML, Adjustable boost elbow, Sirius, Toyo OC AT 285/70/17 E
  #4  
Old 01-22-2006
Spidey923 Spidey923 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sonya, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 178
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

Hey,

Take a look at the Goodyear MTX 285/70/17. Great tires. I am running them right now and have been for about 35,000 miles and I think they are about half worn.

Cheers,
Spidey
__________________
****************
'03-2500 Reg Cab 4x4 Long Box TDHO M6 "Jake Brake", 4.10 Diff,Mag-Hytec Diff Cover,Auto Meter Pyro Gauge,2 Extra Leaf Springs, Edge EZ, Line-X Bedliner,Amsoil Dual Bypass,AFE Mega Cannon
5th Wheel - Terry Quantum 365FLTS AX6 (38' - 4 Slides)
****************
  #5  
Old 01-22-2006
tzabcon tzabcon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beach Park IL.
Posts: 24
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

Get the Cooper ATR's you will be very happy. I had the Michelin MS's on my 01 truck and had 70,000 on them at trade in time. They were okay in the snow but not great. Still runnin the BF's on this truck but plan on coop's for the next tire. They have great reviews.
Todd
__________________
05 2500HD Quad auto Cummins
  #6  
Old 01-22-2006
Chris H.'s Avatar
Chris H. Chris H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,930
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep them coming!!!

Spidey923- were you talking about Goodyear MTRs? I couldn't find MTX tires except in Mickey T's.

Tzabcon- I have seen there ratings on the ATRs, I was pretty impressed. I have seen a lot of people running these tires, but they have smaller trucks. I am wondering how they will work on a 7200 lbs. truck.

MikeB-Your right! One less option to choose from. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
__________________
2002 HO...sold
2012 Tundra
  #7  
Old 01-22-2006
kohldad kohldad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 484
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

Don't put the Goodyear MTRs on as I doubt you would get much mileage. I run them on my OHV vehicle and the grip the rocks like made because they are a moderately soft tire.

Surprised that the BFG AT-KOs are only being said to get about 28K. I ran them on my Grand and had over 40K miles and still was able to sell them as almost new. They did great on the snow, ice, and light mud but they just didn't cut it in deep soft mud.

I've running the optional off-road tires, the 265/70R17 BFG Rugged Trails and will probably be putting them back on. Only been off pavement/gravel a couple of times but have been satisfied with the grip. So far I'm at 37K miles and looks like I get another 20K minimum. About 40% of the mileage has been towing, either a 8K equipment gooseneck or 10K fifth wheel. Sam's Club carries them for $159 each.
__________________
2004.5 CTD QC 3500 SRW 4x4 6-spd 3.73
PacBrake, Guages (Post-turbo),BrakeSmart, B&W Companion
2005 Cougar 314EFS 5ver
2004 Lance 815 Truck Camper
  #8  
Old 01-22-2006
Chris H.'s Avatar
Chris H. Chris H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,930
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kohldad:
Don't put the Goodyear MTRs on as I doubt you would get much mileage. I run them on my OHV vehicle and the grip the rocks like made because they are a moderately soft tire.

Surprised that the BFG AT-KOs are only being said to get about 28K. I ran them on my Grand and had over 40K miles and still was able to sell them as almost new. They did great on the snow, ice, and light mud but they just didn't cut it in deep soft mud.

I've running the optional off-road tires, the 265/70R17 BFG Rugged Trails and will probably be putting them back on. Only been off pavement/gravel a couple of times but have been satisfied with the grip. So far I'm at 37K miles and looks like I get another 20K minimum. About 40% of the mileage has been towing, either a 8K equipment gooseneck or 10K fifth wheel. Sam's Club carries them for $159 each.
</div></div>I have ran the MTRs on my Jeep, and they are awesome, and you are right...they would probably have the mileage capabilities of a pizza on my CTD. I have looked into the BFG Mud terrain as well.

I have owned BFG ATs before, and had excellent results, but they were on toyotas and jeeps, and half the weight of my Dodge. I have a couple of friends that have BFG AT and MTs that have over 50K on them and they look great. That is why I have posted and need to get various opinions on different tires and what they use them for. Traction is more important than mileage for me right now, but I don't want to get 20K out of a new set of tires either. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
__________________
2002 HO...sold
2012 Tundra
  #9  
Old 01-22-2006
CumminsNorth CumminsNorth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
Posts: 220
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

I would recommend Toyo I have had the best luck with these.
I have the toyo M55 on the work truck and they have a very good tread live and stand up to the rocks very well.
And I have the toyo MT on my truck only been on there for about a mounth and a half but I really like them and they are quiet, good in the snow, and not too bad on the ice for a mud tire.
I did have a set of 285BFG AT on my truck when it was new and all four ended up seperated!
I also had a set of yoko's with no luck.
I really like the toyo and I am going to stick with them.
__________________
2003 Ram 2500 Quad L.B., 6spd, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" toyo tires on factory wheels, Hijacker double tilt 5th wheel hitch, E.Z. edge stacked with BD X-Power, DSG high idle kit, 110gph lift pump, Air max intake with amsoil nano filter, 5" Exhaust, boost, pyro, and fuel pressure gauges.
2007 colorado 31ft fifth wheel with a 5"lift.
  #10  
Old 01-23-2006
Chris H.'s Avatar
Chris H. Chris H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,930
Default Re: 17" truck tires..what to get?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by cumminsnorth:
I would recommend Toyo I have had the best luck with these.
I have the toyo M55 on the work truck and they have a very good tread live and stand up to the rocks very well.
And I have the toyo MT on my truck only been on there for about a mounth and a half but I really like them and they are quiet, good in the snow, and not too bad on the ice for a mud tire.
I did have a set of 285BFG AT on my truck when it was new and all four ended up seperated!
I also had a set of yoko's with no luck.
I really like the toyo and I am going to stick with them.
</div></div>What size are you running? I went to Toyos web page and couldn't find a tire that would fit my factory rims with the propper load ratings. The AT looked pretty good. I will have to check these out as well. thank you cumminsnorth.
__________________
2002 HO...sold
2012 Tundra
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2016 www.dieselram.com. All material found on this site is property of DieselRam.com.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger