Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-27-2006

Default Re: Looking at Dodge/Cummins.....Is tranny any good?

Well in my case I can't really complain too much, as I have yet to have problems with this thing. I just wish it was a bit tighter. I put my J/A on at 12,000kms, 37,000 now. On the higher settings with a load, the convernter reminds me a little of my Yank 10" 3800 stall in my car....

I mounted a toggle switch on my dash the other day, now its time to wire up that converter.... then I can lock it any time and see how it works.

I think for me next is a couple of more suspention mods, then a converter/vb, mp-8/hot j/a stack and start looking into a turbo.
Old 01-28-2006

There is a word in 'torque convertor' thats allmost allways looked over. And thats the word 'torque'. Thats reason that it stalls higher when more torque is applied, it has to convert more torque to motion. On the little gas hotrod convertors for example, if you get an advertised 3500 RPM stall convertor, its 3500 RPM for a peticular engine, not all of them. Behind a 283 it may go 2700 RPM lock-stall but behind a buit 454 it may well exceed 4500 RPM lock-stall.

The convertors used in the CTDs have not changed, with the exception of the hub for the 48RE, since their introduction of the A518 lockup behind a 185HP Cummins. As the engines gained more power, or rather torque, they stall higher. Now I said the Allison convertor is allmost identicle, they are, but the Allison trans starts off in a lower first gear that the RE. So does the Torq shift. If you start either one of those in a higher gear then they would stall higher too IF you could get their engines to produce enough low end torque like the Cummins. The advantage of their lower gear starts also allows them to lock the convertor earlier without lugging the engine. The REs dont have a granny low like the others do by comparison. Its also the reason I say DC needs to upgrade their trans into someting more modern but more reliable and stronger that the other two. I hate to say it but the battle of the numbers is likey going to demand it.

The battle of the numbers isnt hard for the CTD, just look at what a production ISB 5.9 can do.
http://www.cmdmarine.com

Even tho its a marine engine, its still a common rail 5.9. It wont be hard tobeat the other two easy should DC decide to do so. If you go to a Cummins web site and find a list of the ISB 5.9s, you will see a bunch more power availible as OEM output than what comes in the Dodges for commercial applications.
Old 01-28-2006

So Tim, is there a better torque converter out on the market to replace my stock one with? With a heavy trailer behind our 04.5 Ram I've had to put the truck in 4LOW just to get a heavy trailer up a steep hill because the torque converter was slipping so much. Or is there an aftermarket kit to make this trans stronger?
Old 01-28-2006

425hp, 908 ft/lbs is the rating of the strongest 5.9 marine engine. That ought to pretty much put the kabash on any dumb s*** from ford or chevy when it comes to seeing which engine has the most LONG TERM RELIABLE power potential.
1998 quadcab 5 spd 12v 2wd dually, SB 3250 dd sintered iron clutch, no plate, CPP 7 x 10 injectors, htb2 64-13 turbo, 4" exhaust, detroit locker, wastegate set at 50psi, internally stock and original motor, has run 14.67 at 98 mph granny shifting, dynoed at 450/920 on VERY stingy dyno in 4th gear.

2009 rcsb 2wd hemi truck, runs 13's stone stock
Old 01-28-2006

I enter this discussion from a much different perspective. I own a Cummins in a Dodge, but I also used to work as a critical transort paramedic in Georgia, and I have something like 500,000 miles in various Ford diesel equipped trucks.

I can describe all the failure modes that left us on the side of the road in some detail, but all too often it was a transmission failure. I have seen a '98, an 01, and an 03 all taken home on flatbeds because the transmission would not GO anymore.

I think the old Ford engines were gutless, but wonderful. We put 200,000+ miles on a few of them with no internal engine troubles at all. The first time I rode in an intercooled powerstroke at 90 mph, I had a very bad feeing about the engine and truck, and yes, that was a 6.0.

I have a better job now, and when it came time to choose a truck of my own, I wanted two things: a Cummins and a 48RE. I knew that the overdrive is an attachment at the back of transmission. Heck, who cares? Aftermarket OD's are the same thing, aren't they?

I'm not a transmission expert by any means, but we drove Fords, and the transmissions were the weak point in the trucks. Somewhere along the line, I got interested in travel trailers, and needed to uprgrade my tow vehicle. A Powerstroke was not even to be considered. Since I'd had good luck with my Dakota, I went and looked at Dodges .
. .

In a city not far away, all the ambulances had Dodge Cummins front ends and frames, and we envied them.
Old 01-28-2006

I too had both Ford and Dodges and have good friends with Chevy diesels. 92 Dodge went 130K plus before I sold it and had no trans problems pulling 30+ foot trailer. Current owner had similar experience at least 20K miles later. 99 Ford PS lasted 70K miles before trany started slipping so bad I had to rebuild it. Traded it at 105K and tranny was starting to slip and lockup was becoming unreliable again.
Drove friends Chevys and was unimpressed although the trans seemed nice. Got a 05 CTD 4x4 with 48re and love it. Just wish I coulp put an exhaust brake on it. Dodge's 48re may not be elegant, but they will hold up as well as any and certainly one hell of a lot better than the Fords I have seen.
05 Laramie 2500 Quad 4x4, HO/610, SWB, White, 48RE, 3:73, 11.5, Sport,RB-4 GPS/Radio, Tow Group, ect. (2nd Dodge Cummins)
Old 01-30-2006

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and am real close to buying a new Dodge Cummins Mega Cab 4x4. I used to be a Dodge man years ago but had to stray to Chevy and Duramax because I needed a crew cab.

I currently own a 2002 crew cab dually dmax and really don't have anything to bitch about. It starts, runs good and pulls like a mule. Just have always loved the Dodge Cummins hookup but I am a little concerned about the auto tranny.

I used to have a 91 Dodge Cummins with the 5 speed and man, was that thing econmical! I know that with the advent of the current horsepower race that fuel economy is dwindling. That being said, have any of you compared the fuel economy between the 48re and the 6 speed?

I know my local Chevy dealer said there wasn't a difference between the Allison and the 6 speed manual back when I purchased the truck but there is! I know a guy with the exact same setup as me with the only difference being he has the 6 speed and I have the Allison. He gets about 3 mpg better than I do with automatic. I know that is no surprise, just want to hear from some of you Dodge guys with the newer motor/tranny combos!
Old 01-30-2006

Thats what this entire thread has been about.

Sticks will allways get better fuel milage than an auto turning the same RPM. The reason is that you pay for being lazy. Really, its because that an auto has a pump to make the pressure needed to clamp those clutchs together and for lube and cooling. Pumps soak up HP. Sticks on the other hand do have a bit of parasitic drag from gears turning against each other and turning in oil, but its nothing to the auto.
Old 01-30-2006

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tim again:
There is a word in 'torque convertor' thats allmost allways looked over. And thats the word 'torque'. Thats reason that it stalls higher when more torque is applied, it has to convert more torque to motion. On the little gas hotrod convertors for example, if you get an advertised 3500 RPM stall convertor, its 3500 RPM for a peticular engine, not all of them. Behind a 283 it may go 2700 RPM lock-stall but behind a buit 454 it may well exceed 4500 RPM lock-stall.

The convertors used in the CTDs have not changed, with the exception of the hub for the 48RE, since their introduction of the A518 lockup behind a 185HP Cummins. As the engines gained more power, or rather torque, they stall higher. Now I said the Allison convertor is allmost identicle, they are, but the Allison trans starts off in a lower first gear that the RE. So does the Torq shift. If you start either one of those in a higher gear then they would stall higher too IF you could get their engines to produce enough low end torque like the Cummins. The advantage of their lower gear starts also allows them to lock the convertor earlier without lugging the engine. The REs dont have a granny low like the others do by comparison. Its also the reason I say DC needs to upgrade their trans into someting more modern but more reliable and stronger that the other two. I hate to say it but the battle of the numbers is likey going to demand it.

The battle of the numbers isnt hard for the CTD, just look at what a production ISB 5.9 can do.
http://www.cmdmarine.com

Even tho its a marine engine, its still a common rail 5.9. It wont be hard tobeat the other two easy should DC decide to do so. If you go to a Cummins web site and find a list of the ISB 5.9s, you will see a bunch more power availible as OEM output than what comes in the Dodges for commercial applications.
</div></div>So is there a better performing torque converter to purchase, or will it do the same thing? I have heard that the stock flywheel is not up to par..is there anything that can back this up or is it just rumor? What kind of TC would you recomend? Thank you.