Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-27-2018

Default Trans Temps...

Weather getting warmer and numbers are changing. What temps should be avoided with about 12K load? Good weather is anywhere between 175-195*, seen a few 210-15* What temps should not be sustained for very long? What temps are tolerable? Obviously it all changes with weather and terrain.
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 05-27-2018
Amsoil Sponsor

Keeping the transmission temperature between 175 and 200 degrees will allow the fluid to last the longest. This is the normal operating temperature for a transmission. Remember the fluid is the life line or blood of the transmission. 225-230 degrees starts to degrade the fluid. You can always step up to a better trans fluid.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 05-27-2018

The dump truck w/ Eaton RTO16908LL manual trans gets up to 200F w/74K load in the summer.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin

Last edited by Clunk; 05-27-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Old 05-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Keeping the transmission temperature between 175 and 200 degrees will allow the fluid to last the longest. You can always step up to a better trans fluid.
Ok, I think I know the answer, but What would be a "better fluid"?
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 05-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Keeping the transmission temperature between 175 and 200 degrees will allow the fluid to last the longest. This is the normal operating temperature for a transmission. Remember the fluid is the life line or blood of the transmission. 225-230 degrees starts to degrade the fluid. You can always step up to a better trans fluid.
I don't think my trans oil will be anything close to at 200* on a 12 mile 6% grade with an 11000 lb. trailer I have to pull this Thursday, but my eyes will be on that gage! Will Amsoil handle higher temps?
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 05-30-2018
Amsoil Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
I don't think my trans oil will be anything close to at 200* on a 12 mile 6% grade with an 11000 lb. trailer I have to pull this Thursday, but my eyes will be on that gage! Will Amsoil handle higher temps?

Yes it will help,
1-888-887-9052

Old 05-31-2018

Ok, claimed that 6%grade this afternoon. While we were in n town, we stoped at a CAT scale, filled up with fuel before heading up that grade! Weighed the truck with the 5er, full of fuel and trailer loaded with stuff for s four day trip. GCW is 18360 lbs. Creeped up that grade about 35 mph, able to keep EGT down pretty good, but trans temps crept up to 225-226* for maybe 10 minutes! How can I get better cooling! I heard a guy at a local diesel shop said to replace the trans cooler from the 6.7 because it flows better and cooler. Anyone heard of this? Fact or Fiction?

Old 06-02-2018
Amsoil Sponsor

The AMSOIL ATF can only help you in the severe high-heat environment generated in real-world towing scenarios, and specifically formulated for severe-service towing and heavy hauling also delivers reserve protection against extreme heat. Anyway your know you have a fluid that will take the extreme heat.
1-888-887-9052

Old 06-02-2018

You could always install an auxillary trans cooler. Used to be first thing I would add to my old musclecars.
https://www.transmissionrepaircostgu...ission-cooler/
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 06-02-2018

BD sells a double stacked tranny cooler with fan for towing and racing. Comes with brackets for mounting under box or wherever.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty, SLT Quad Cab, Bilstiens, levelling kit, BD Steering Box Stabilizer Bar, BD heavy duty swaybar links, BD double deep tranny pan, Edge moniter, otherwise completely stock.(for now)