Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Intermitten Exhaust Brake

I did a search and read for a while, but haven't found an answer yet...

The '07 's exhaust brake hasn't worked properly for a year or more.
Turning the switch off and on does make a slight difference in stopping power and sound, but it clearly doesn't not engaging fully.
A month or so ago it suddenly engaged correctly for a few seconds then off.
Has done it a couple times since then, and seems to be working more and more, sometimes a few minutes, but not all the time by far.

So...what causes the difference in engaging power?
It's my understanding there is an actuator of some sort, but I don't know what does what.
Truck seems to pull ok. Still hauling big boxes every week with no problem.
I almost think it pulls just a little better when the brake works correctly.
Not anything I can measure or prove, just a seat-of-the-pants feeling of more low end grunt, maybe a little better spool up of the turbo.

When everything is working right I've got an exhaust leak that screams like an eagle but don't hear it at all the rest of the time.

The switch IS doing something...
But there is an intermittent issue.

Any ideas?
Any advice?
Where do I start, What do I check??

Thanks.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Smoke, I rebuild these on a daily basis, we always replace the actuator with every rebuild. When they get up to about 5000 hours, it can start to pop codes, stick, etc. Its all electronics inside, circuit board, lil motor to move thecross shaft to engage/ disengage the cage which goes in and out a slotted ring in the turbine housing. This actuator is also water cooled fron the engine. We can read the history of the turbo, temperature wise, and other issues. How many hours does your truck have on it? No use just replacing the actuator, might as well go with a rebuilt turbo, and make sure it has a NEW actuator on it, not a rebuilt one. And from experience, don't buy a Factory Rebuilt turbo from Holset, they look like some guy rebuilds them in his garage at home, and reuses major internal components, collars, oil slingers scored to heck. Real poor quality.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty, SLT Quad Cab short box, Bilstiens, levelling kit, BD Steering Box Stabilizer Bar, BD heavy duty swaybar links, BD double deep tranny pan, Air bags, Onboard air, Fisher Snow Plow, 35" BFG K02 Tires Edge moniter.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Pigiron, thank you for the info!
Not sure on hours, but it has 456k miles & I start it in the morning and it runs all day about 3 days a week.
The turbo was replaced with a jasper unit sometime before I got it and that was 150k ago. No idea if they changed the actuator.
No codes, like I said, pulls good, 12-13 mpg average & always loaded.
So you're saying the problem is most likely the actuator and you replace the whole unit...
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Not sure on hours, but it has 456k miles & I start it in the morning and it runs all day about 3 days a week.
The turbo was replaced with a jasper unit sometime before I got it and that was 150k ago. No idea if they changed the actuator.
So you're saying the problem is most likely the actuator and you replace the whole unit...
Yes, no point in not replacing it, im pretty sure that is your issue. They are pricey though, around $1500.00 Canadian. And, you cant just buy one and bolt it on yourself, it has to be programmed by the dealer, or a shop with the right tester.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty, SLT Quad Cab short box, Bilstiens, levelling kit, BD Steering Box Stabilizer Bar, BD heavy duty swaybar links, BD double deep tranny pan, Air bags, Onboard air, Fisher Snow Plow, 35" BFG K02 Tires Edge moniter.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

If you turn the ignition on, but don't start it and hold your odometer button for about 20 seconds, it tells you the engine hours, but if thats not the original turbo, it basically means nothing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

The cage moves up and down the slotted ring in the turbine housing, causing the A/R ratio to change, causing faster spoolup giving the truck awesome bottom end power. Also, its the best enging brake out there. We now sell a kit with that turbo and a new manifold, plus all the electronics that bolt onto a 5.9.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Yes, no point in not replacing it, im pretty sure that is your issue. They are pricey though, around $1500.00 Canadian. And, you cant just buy one and bolt it on yourself, it has to be programmed by the dealer, or a shop with the right tester.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Tell me more about this kit of which you speak pale face...….
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Its just come out, I just read the brochure at work last week. You could probably find it on BD Diesels website. Tell me, have you ever driven a 6.7 and tried the engine brake? Its incredible. I live in the mountainous region of British Columbia, hills , long grades everywhere, I tow a 16' 3700 lb flatdeck with a 7000 lb Case skidsteer on it down these grades, I turn the engine brake on and never even touch the brakes. Its awesome, and now that its available for a 5.9, it'll be a good investment if you plan on keeping the truck.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGIRON View Post
Its just come out, I just read the brochure at work last week. You could probably find it on BD Diesels website. Tell me, have you ever driven a 6.7 and tried the engine brake? Its incredible. I live in the mountainous region of British Columbia, hills , long grades everywhere, I tow a 16' 3700 lb flatdeck with a 7000 lb Case skidsteer on it down these grades, I turn the engine brake on and never even touch the brakes. Its awesome, and now that its available for a 5.9, it'll be a good investment if you plan on keeping the truck.
Yep the exhaust break is great for towing and steep downhill grades, also use it when not towing when in the mountains.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook