Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 05-29-2017

Default 2011 Ram 68RFE info/problems

Hi All,

It has been a long while since I have posted. Hope all is well. I still see a lot of familiar names! My truck has been deleted for over a year with 90k km and I finally installed the H&S trans tune over the weekend to see if it helps with my possible trans issue.

Problem: Towing 10K lb toy hauler on lower speeds up and down hills the TC has difficulty locking or lack of locking and all revs and feels like it struggles a bit with the load.
- While going up steep grades and traveling relatively low speeds 30-50 km/hr the TC will not lock in 2nd or 3rd gear (It will blink on the H&S controller but not lock) especially on lower speed logging roads. I have found this causes fairly high trans temps 240-250+ degrees F. So far no high temp alarms on the truck so assuming this is ok. Trans was serviced a year or so ago
-The other issue when descending down slower steep grades the TC does not lock despite traveling 30-50 km/hr and no exhaust break engagement. Other times it works like it should.
-Trans seems to shift well and lock in 4-6 gears
-After installing trans tuning the truck started out doing the same symptoms but after a while of driving the trailer the trans started to do what it was supposed to with much cleaner crisp shifts and actually locking in on descents for the exhaust brake at various speeds. Line pressure set at 170psi.

I thought this might be a high pressure solenoid issue but after talking to a few people with the same truck it would seem that this is normal? To me it seems worse than ever and now with a new tune and one return trip of driving the truck seems to be running much much better!?

I am curious if I am missing anything on how flaky the low gears are on 68RFE. Adding a programmer I understand can cause issues but the truck really has been rock solid since install.

Any thoughts appreciated thanks,

Andrew

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.