Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 06-01-2014

Default Rear Hubcap Trouble

I jus recently bought a 2006 Dodge 4 door Dually. The truck has a small squeak from the left rear wheels when I come to a stop. I wanted to take the wheels off and check the brake pads but I cant seem to figure out how to remove the chrome hubcaps. I looked in my owners book and I couldn't find anything in there that covers this problem. Is there a "trick" to getting them off or am I jus missing something? Thanks in advance for any and all help as I don't want to drive it until I get this problem resolved as I don't want to cause more problems. Thanks again.........
Old 06-01-2014

On the 2006, the outer trim ring comes off first. Remove it like a regular hub cap. Once the trim ring is off, there will be two small tabs on either side of the cap up against the wheel. A screwdriver or (I use a brake adjusting too that has a bent end) into the tab with a gentle prying action will pop the cap off.
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 06-02-2014

Goodness gracious, I've been doin' it wrong!

The center cap has a notch on its outer edge that I hook with a bent piece of brazing rod and give 'er a yank with a bunch of rags in my lap to catch the cap without scratchin' it. Then I remove the trim ring("Wheel skin").

Just have to be careful to not break the tabs that hold the perimeter wire to the plastic trim ring. Them's is purty fragile.
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.