Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 1 Week Ago

Default stuck in 4WD

Ok here is the Background, about 10 months back my 4wd dash light "burned" out and no longer told me I was in 4wd. When i pulled the lever i could tell 4wd was engaged. when i pushed it out it acted like it was in 2wd. so I said no big deal not going to replace a light bulb. Now fast forward to last I finally found a mechanic who could fix my death wander by putting in new ball joints, u joints tie rod ends getting and got it alligned right. well I drove it for a week and when i made a 90 degree turn at about 25mph today my drivers side U joint snapped. Called my mechanic he comes and looks at it and says yep you had it in 4wd and turned on dry pavement and that will snap the joint.
OK I know I was not intentionally in 4wd and it did not act like tiit at all and I had driven 30 miles like this.
So my question is aftrer we fix the other parts. What can we do to make sure it is out of 4wd?
Is it theTransfer Case Indicator Mode Switch and could that cause the dash light to be out and does that even matter? that would cause it to not disengage? is there something els on the gear lever not releasing? is it something in the transfer case.
Thanks for the help
06 Atlantic Blue Quad Cab SLT 4X4 Auto, Bighorn, 3:73, loadflat and Maxcare
Old 1 Week Ago

Hmm..
I don't have a ram 4x4, but when I drove one for someone else it would overheat the front diff pretty quick running down the highway if it didn't disengage properly.
Had it boil gear oil out the diff vent tube in about 30 miles once.
Could feel it too once you knew what you were looking for...like a solid front axel and tracking the pavement slope pretty bad
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 1 Week Ago

I always in any 4wd unit disengaged and then backed up 5 ft to get stress off gears and allow it return to 2wd as to the rest or your ?s ????
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original mile traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS