Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 10-07-2021

Default The wanderer

Anyone have any insight as to what may cause the front end of the 01 to wander all over the road? I've been throwing parts at it to no avail so far. If the road is straight side to side, it tracks straight. If the road is rutted like most of the roads up here, it wanders all over the place badly. Also, when you turn, you have to overcorrect to straighten it up. Any insight?
Old 10-07-2021
Administrator

The track bar is one thing, that can cause problems.

When you're turning, does the steering wheel return to center by it's self or do you have to pull it back straight? That could be a frozen/sticking ball joint. I know on the big trucks when the king pins are frozen, they will wander & fight you while driving.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 10-08-2021

Power steering unit??? Maybe a shot or two of Whiskey too many?
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 10-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
The track bar is one thing, that can cause problems.

When you're turning, does the steering wheel return to center by it's self or do you have to pull it back straight? That could be a frozen/sticking ball joint. I know on the big trucks when the king pins are frozen, they will wander & fight you while driving.
The track bar was one of the first things I replaced. The way it was acting, I suspected the front end was moving side to side in the ruts. There is no saying that the shop did it right though. Didn't make any difference. The steering wheel does return to center on its own. Complete front brake job plus wheel bearings.
Old 10-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Power steering unit??? Maybe a shot or two of Whiskey too many?
That has also been on my mind, just no good way to check it without proper help. It doesn't leak and it feels normal though. No sense of free play in it.
Old 10-09-2021

steering stabilizer replaced?
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original mile traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 10-09-2021

I replaced it not long after I bought the truck. About 40K miles ago. I do plan to replace it and the shocks as part of troubleshooting.
Old 10-12-2021
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

If your having an issue with the truck not straighten itself up after a turn. This is a ball joint issue or wheel bearing or a combination or both. Caster and Camber are built into these trucks and can not be changed unless you use a upper cambered ball joint. Normally 2 degrees. Toe and wheel base are the only two adjustments on these trucks. A worn gearbox would also cause this however the steering would be rough on any steering input.

Tires
Balljoints
Track Bar
Steering gear
Steering linkage
Wheel bearings
Control Arm bushings.

All of which cause any of the issues you describe. These trucks are like aircraft they will make a liar out of you. Just because it was replaced doesn’t mean it hasn’t gone bad in a few short miles.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 10-13-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
If your having an issue with the truck not straighten itself up after a turn. This is a ball joint issue or wheel bearing or a combination or both. Caster and Camber are built into these trucks and can not be changed unless you use a upper cambered ball joint. Normally 2 degrees. Toe and wheel base are the only two adjustments on these trucks. A worn gearbox would also cause this however the steering would be rough on any steering input.

Tires
Balljoints
Track Bar
Steering gear
Steering linkage
Wheel bearings
Control Arm bushings.

All of which cause any of the issues you describe. These trucks are like aircraft they will make a liar out of you. Just because it was replaced doesnít mean it hasnít gone bad in a few short miles.
Tires: Tires are good and in balance. Both sets. No change between the two.
Ball joints: Need to be check.
Track Bar: Track bar was replaced recently, but I agree about possible failure. The crank case breather keeps things well lubricated and may have contaminated the bushing.
Steering gear: Needs to be check, but I detect no free play in the wheel.
Steering linkage: Needs to be checked.
Wheel bearings: Recently replaced along with the front brakes.
Control Arm bushings: Needs to be checked, but may be contaminated.
Alignment: Needs to be checked.

Everything you mentioned has been checked previously by a shop and myself as much as I was able. Weather they knew what they are looking for is questionable. My disabilities and working alone on the other hand keep me from being through. Just to eliminate some possibilities, I've ordered shocks, steering damper, and a steering brace. Once they arrive, I will see if I can find a shop that will let me observe as they install the parts and do and inspection of the other components. As for straightening its self out, it does when the road is flat. When the road is rutted, like most Alaska roads it climbs to the top of the rut, thus the wandering.
Old 10-16-2021

Doing some more research. Found information on replacing the 2nd gen steering linkage with the 4th gen linkage. It's a direct bolt in. Also, the 3rd gen track bare can be used along with a special bracket. If the track bar is bad again or my tie rods are shot, this may be the best rout to go. But it will all depend on shipping costs.