Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 08-19-2021

Default Computer Issue

Long story short. My 09 Larimie MegaCab 6.7 Cummins computer crashed after having the TIPM replaced. I have had it checked with a scanner tool and there is no communication with any systems in the truck verifying that the computer is indeed dead.

My problem sounds simple enough but no one here at least can give me the answer so I am reaching out to you for help. I have been down and without my truck now since July 8th.

Which computer of the two on my truck is causing the problem. The one on the passenger side firewall or, the one on the drivers side engine block? And what is the correct name of the computer?

And where can I send it to have it rebuilt?

Thanks!

This is an emergency. Temperatures have already dropped below freezing for the first time this year.

Kaelin
1998 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 5.9l Magnum V8
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 08-19-2021

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

If there is no communication with anything in the truck, then I wouldn't be jumping at replacing controllers. If the Engine ECM on the block was bad, (And they rarely fail), you would still be able to communicate with the TIPM, SRS, Instrument cluster, etc. I am not sure what ECU would be on the passenger side firewall.

If this happened after the TIPM was replaced, I would suspect an issue with that, either its the wrong one, is configured incorrectly, or there is wiring damaged around the TIPM. TIPM needs to be programmed if I remember correctly.
Old 08-22-2021

Here is what I have learned so far. The computer on the firewall on the passenger side which most refers to as the PCM or the Power Control Module is actually called the TCM or the Transmission Control Module by Chrysler. The (Main) function of this computer is the transmission functions but it also controls most all other of the trucks electrical functions. I was able to get out of them that the 09 model year was different than all other model years in function and that it is highly susceptible to problems. Those computers are difficult to come by. As it turns out, after removing mine from the truck, I discovered a remanufactured sticker on it already. With any luck, I should have a reman TCM here early in the week.
1998 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 5.9l Magnum V8
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Exclamation Computer replacement

We’re you able to get a refurbished computer? My 05 seems to require this and having trouble finding a reputable source. If anyone has used a service please point me in the right direction. Appreciated
05 Quad Cab 2500 4x4 SLT, 48RE, 4.10 Rear End, Molten Red/Silver Quad SB, Ranchhand Grill Guard, Bilstein Shocks, Sirius XM radio, 9.09 New transfer case and both drive shafts due to 70 mph vibration.