Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 07-18-2017

Default Exhaust brake vs airbox

Having an PRXB Pac-brake installed on my '01. Had KN cold air kit installed six years ago and mechanic called to inform me the brake compressor will not properly install with KN set up, the elbow and box are in the way. KN has no solution other than reinstall factory box back in (really?). I can get original elbow piece but that is still not guaranteed to work. Anybody had this problem or have sugestions? I am not good with modifying parts so looking for adaption ideas. Mechanic said truck is good to go for now but will need brace or support pieces soon. Thanks
2001 2500 QCSB 4X4, White, 5sp, 3.55 rear w/Dana 80 and posi-track, Dana 60 front, camper special. Rhino Bullbar and taillight protectors. Leer canopy.Westach Dual EGT Gauge and Boost Guage. KN cold air kit. Injectors have been extrude honed.
Old 07-18-2017

We have solved the clearance issue for now. Mechanic is happy so I feel better. Not sure of the method of the fix but when I pick it up tomorrow I will post what was done for anyone else facing similar problem......
2001 2500 QCSB 4X4, White, 5sp, 3.55 rear w/Dana 80 and posi-track, Dana 60 front, camper special. Rhino Bullbar and taillight protectors. Leer canopy.Westach Dual EGT Gauge and Boost Guage. KN cold air kit. Injectors have been extrude honed.
Old 07-18-2017

Ok, thanks. That should be some useful info.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 07-24-2017

Good morning! I am not a mechanic so bear with me on my explanations. All position references are as you are facing the engine, sooooo.....
The air compressor air filter sits on top of the alternator. The compressor has a bracket which is attached to the passenger side battery tray and the actuator (brake) is slightly behind the engine. I had a KN cold air kit installed about four years ago. The larger filter box now will not fit due to compressor location. Mechanic removed the larger box/shroud and was able to slightly bend the KN tube (to turbo) so that the larger conical air filter is facing back into the left corner, its a tight fit but with a small metal bracket attached to fender well it is secured and stable.
I believe servicing the filter will now be a bit more difficult as I will have to remove the tube from the turbo to pull it forward and out and my ability to change my oil may be compromised (compressor now an obstacle to get around, I was able to reach down and hand remove and reinstall from the right front fender area).
Still, better to have the brake towing than not! I hope this is clear enough to explain the unforseen problem. PacBrake apparently makes the airtube in different bends and angles but we did not know that at the time.
Old 07-24-2017

01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin