Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > The 911 Help Category > 911 Help! Emergency Only! For General Info Use Tech Forums
911 Help! Emergency Only! For General Info Use Tech Forums This section is ONLY (repeat ONLY!) to be used in a situation where you are broken down and in dire need of IMMEDIATE help! Otherwise use the normal "Technical" forums below for information requests.

Old 10-19-2012

Default Battery issues?

Truck was slow to start the other week. Parked her and next day deaddd. Jumped her drove to interstate bought one battery other battery was ok, she started right up. Next day dead jumped drove 25 miles sat for few hours started up then drove home parked over night dead in the am. What is draining battery? Alt shows charge and while driving all gauges work lights etc windows locks....
1995 manual 2500 4x4 ext cab 227k 4in exhaust no cat. #100 plate home ground ff silencer ring removed, Gauges Pyro and Boost. Valair Ceramic Clutch and Valair Flywheel. 5x.017 injectors 022 dv's. smoking like a fiend. Amsoil filter feeding -Wh1c-Rip over Hx55 twins. Afc modded alla forums article. 4k gsk. Hx40 over Hx55 waiting for its rebirth.
Old 10-19-2012

I believe you are supposed to replace both batteries at the same time. Did you disconnect them when you load tested them? If not, you'll get a false reading.

2003 Honda Civic, 1.7 lit, auto, 2 door
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. The wifes.
Old 10-19-2012

I heard you are supposed to replace both at same time and i never have in my life and have never had a problem second battery was removed from truck and tested by interstate.
1995 manual 2500 4x4 ext cab 227k 4in exhaust no cat. #100 plate home ground ff silencer ring removed, Gauges Pyro and Boost. Valair Ceramic Clutch and Valair Flywheel. 5x.017 injectors 022 dv's. smoking like a fiend. Amsoil filter feeding -Wh1c-Rip over Hx55 twins. Afc modded alla forums article. 4k gsk. Hx40 over Hx55 waiting for its rebirth.
Old 10-20-2012

You don't "have" to change both batteries at the same time. However, and this is a big however...there are things to concider:

-time of service life in other battery.
- if other battery is going bad, good way to take out the new one, and there you are buying two anyway.
- I personally don't like relying on others to help me start my truck, nor sitting on the side of the road.

If the batteries are going dead that quick, you have a pretty good draw on the system. This is where I would start.
Old 10-20-2012

Batteries do tend to mimic one another, I.E. the charge will "level out" between the two batteries, weak one pulling the strong one down. I have never considered it OK to replace one battery in a two battery system, but this is only my opinion.
Like Chris said...you can ruin the good battery by inadvertantly leaveing an undiscovered bad battery in the system.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-20-2012

Disconnect BOTH negative cables an test the individual battery, if they both pass hook up a 12 volts test light in series from the disconnected negative cable to the ground post of one battery only, if it lights you have a current draw. Start pulling fuses one at a time till the light goes out. Also touch the alternator while the engine is off and cold, looking for a warm to the touch housing, this could indicate a failed diode draining the batteries. A little parasitic drain is normal, what you are looking for is large current draws. Good luck and keep us posted.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Disconnect BOTH negative cables an test the individual battery, if they both pass hook up a 12 volts test light in series from the disconnected negative cable to the ground post of one battery only, if it lights you have a current draw. Start pulling fuses one at a time till the light goes out. Also touch the alternator while the engine is off and cold, looking for a warm to the touch housing, this could indicate a failed diode draining the batteries. A little parasitic drain is normal, what you are looking for is large current draws. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yep what he said :-)