Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-02-2018

Default Oile leak passenger side below tappet cover

This is on an 00 2500 4x4.

I recently replaced the tappet cover gasket and everything looks dry around the gasket.

There is what I think is oil on the drivers side block behind a bracket that I think was for the stock lift pump. Are there any oil passages on the drivers side that could be leaking (besides the tappet cover)? Are there any bolt holes that go into an oil passage and need to be installed to prevent leaks?

I've cleaned it up and don't see anything until after driving when that side of the engine block is covered. I thought valve cover, fuel mixing with dirty block oil or??? but a rubber mat set on the ground gets an oil spot and all of the usual suspects seem dry. The starter has an inordinate amount of oil on it as does the wiring harness on that side where it mounts to the block.

My intent is to remove the ECU and any other hardware in the area and have a look. I remember deciding that I don't have a 53 block but am skeered that I didn't look hard enough when buying.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)

Last edited by Junkman; 05-02-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Old 05-03-2018

I had a difficult to find oil leak until I got under the engine with a strong light at night....it was the oil cooler/filter mount. It had a bunch of loose bolts.
There's no daylight interference at night.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 05-04-2018
Administrator

I'm confused, the tappet cover is on the drivers side along with the ecu and starter.
Anyways it seems like your saying the leak is showing on the drivers side. It could be blowing back from the front crank seal or the front gear train cover.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 05-04-2018

Yes, the oil is on the driver side. The front of the engine is clean. The block directly under the tappet cover gasket is clean.

Below the clean part of the block that is below the tappet cover is a metal plate. I'm not using the plate for anything. The wiring harness is routed near and clamped to the plate. The plate and wiring harness is oily. The starter is oily.

I'm going to check (again in most cases)
Vac/PS pump connection, fuel leaks especially the return lines, even the crank sensor behind the starter.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 05-13-2018

This is strange. I paid a shop to install an AirDog a long time ago. They removed the stock lift pump at that time. Unfortunately, the block is machined for a mechanical fuel pump which is a hold over from days gone by. Only a loosely attached paper gasket was covering the hole. I thought the gasket was a metal plate bolted to the block and never paid attention to it. Only the gasket was holding any of the oil it.

I bought a block off plate which is readily available to fix it.
Old 05-13-2018

That is strange.
Reckon the bolts worked loose & the cover plate fell off?
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
That is strange.
Reckon the bolts worked loose & the cover plate fell off?
No, the experts who shall remain nameless removed the stock pump and didn't bother to plug the hole.