Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 12-22-2010

Thumbs up Headlight Upgrade to 1997 Ram 2500 with Mercedes e55 HID projectors

After being frustrated with OEM headlight performance (even after 'clearing yellow lenses', etc), I upgraded to some 'crystal headlights' off ebay. I was pleased with these for a few months but now I've converted my 'crystal' lenses (which were prone to blinding oncoming drivers) to Mercedes E55 HID projectors.

The retrofit was time-consuming and difficult but worth the effort in light output and beam quality. I installed a 4300K 55w HID kit which emits an OEM quality/color light beam (not the 'ricer-blue' beam) which provides great visibility in rain and dry. The bi-xenon function, which opens/closes a door inside the projector housing, however, required some creative/custom wiring to use, as the factory wiring takes power from the low-beam circuit. Installing a diode (additional 'creative wiring'....) took care of this and provides power to low-beam circuit when high beam is energized.

I'd recommend this as a definite quality alternative to Ebay projectors (which are of extremely low-quality and have poor beam dispersion and other limitations), but it's a time-consuming project which will reward your patience with excellent headlight-output, good cut-off (no more blinding oncoming drivers...), and great appearance.

I neglected to take photos as I was performing the upgrade (I get REALLY into my work...) but will be happy to post some pics of finished product.
1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 long bd ext cab, BD Compounds (finally), ATS Billet trans. billet flex disc, 5-star cnvrtr, TC controller, Bosch 370's, 3k GSK, modded full-fwd #0 plate, projector HID's, star wheel maxed, Aeroturbine 5" turbo-back, missing kitty can, 2.5" lift, Thomas on-board air, Nathan K5LA TRAIN HORNS, 35" BFG Mud Terrains on 2006 Ram 2500 17" alum wheels, Autometer boost, pyro, and trans-temp gauges, Amsoil bypass filters. LED strobes. ARP studs next....
Old 12-23-2010

Location: suffolk uk/Barril do Alva Portugal as much as possible

I like many others, would not be able to perform this type of conversion, for one reason or another-------so--------- with American lights being what they are------maybe there is a potential business, making kits that are quite straightforward/contain detail instructions for people like me---------even on our UK motorhome forum last week several RVers were looking at ways to make their lights perform like we would expect in the 21st century !!!!!
I had planned to fit a light bar on my 'new' truck but some idiots have made fitting of these type bars quite a safety issue-----------if I ran a pedestrian down because I couldn't see him, how can I stand in court and say the lights are crap !!!!!!!!!! But I have to do something !!!
90% of the roads we use are only just big enough for 8ft wide (each way) with no kerbside markings !!!!!
Or just use the truck in daylight hours !!!!!!!!!!!
Nigel

2006 CTD 3500 dually 4x4 manual long bed---- NOW SOLD
1998 Lance 11,5 truck camper--- now cannibalised to make a cabin in central Portugal

2002 Niesmann+Bischoff Flair
Old 12-24-2010

Post up some pics, I've been looking to upgrade mine for quite awhile, just haven't figured out what I want.
98 12v qc 2500 4x4 dtt valve-body self built auto 4.10 S&B Intake, Steed Speed manifold, gauges, 100hp Maxsticks, tweaked & tuned 911 pump,18*,custom ground plate,4" exhaust,htb2 62/14, pdr cam ,arp studs, 3k gsk

sʇıpǝɹɔ uoqɹɐɔ ʎɯ ʎnq ɐuuɐʍ
Old 12-24-2010

X2...I may have to invest in night vission goggles soon...
Old 12-25-2010

X3. Last time I drove at night, I thought a light was out. It wasn't. I'd like something aimed well that doesn't blind others AND isn't ricey or going to attract police.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 12-25-2010

I'm really glad it's not just me who was tired of inferior lighting! It's snowing out, now, so not able to take decent pics...but these lights are excellent. No glare, extremely sharp cutoff, and high-beams are incredible. I'll post pics ASAP.
1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 long bd ext cab, BD Compounds (finally), ATS Billet trans. billet flex disc, 5-star cnvrtr, TC controller, Bosch 370's, 3k GSK, modded full-fwd #0 plate, projector HID's, star wheel maxed, Aeroturbine 5" turbo-back, missing kitty can, 2.5" lift, Thomas on-board air, Nathan K5LA TRAIN HORNS, 35" BFG Mud Terrains on 2006 Ram 2500 17" alum wheels, Autometer boost, pyro, and trans-temp gauges, Amsoil bypass filters. LED strobes. ARP studs next....
Old 12-26-2010

Default photos of headlights

photos of headlight upgrade with Mercedes projector lenses and 55w HID headlights installed. Excellent upgrade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver's side headlight upgrade.jpg (22.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg passenger-side upgrade headlight.jpg (32.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-27-2010

Now that is really great. Thanks for the pictures. I really miss the headlights from my Audi..by far the best lights I have had in a vehicle. The second would be my 4Runner...they are pretty darn close.

So can you describe a little more on your "creative wiring" a little more with part numbers and cost maybe?
Old 12-27-2010

^^^^^^Yea, yea! What he said. I would like to try something like this. Now that you have seemed to do it, it takes the 'scary' out of it. What did you use, how did you put it together, and what did it cost?^^^^^^
Old 12-27-2010

I want something like that for my 2004 !

Tags
Diesel, headlights, HID, projectors, ram 2500 cummins