Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 08-06-2018

Default Tranny Install Tips Needed

I had my 47re tranny rebuilt a couple weeks ago. Was waiting on torq converter to arrive . Now im preparing to do the install. Is it mandatory to use a tranny jack or can you get away with using a reg. floor jack?? I hav been out of mechanic mode for some time . Any tips you guys have that would make install easyer would be of great help. Thanks
Old 08-06-2018

The last time I was in a transmission shop, those guys were using transmission jacks.....must be easier and safer unless you want to risk losing a finger or two, imo
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 08-10-2018

The advantage of a good transmission jack is you can tilt them rather than having to brute force them into lining up. At least the good jacks I've seen will.
Old 08-11-2018

I watched a mechanic install a Roadranger RTO1808LL in a dump truck with a borrowed proper trans. jack. He used a ratchet strap to pull the jack towards the front of the truck to hole the input shaft to the pilot bearing.....smooth & steady.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 08-14-2018

I've done plenty with a floor jack, but you gotta be reeeally careful it don't just slide off.
I've even laid on my bank and bench pressed a few into place while somebody jammed a cross member under it. (not recommended)

Transmission jack...
Mandatory? No.
Recommended? Yes!
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!