Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 12-27-2010

Thumbs up

Definitely not an upgrade for the 'uncreative', or faint of heart, but definitely worth the effort. I wish I'd taken photos of the process as I was doing it but.... I was 'in the zone' I hope the description, below, helps a little in providing details as-to what was done to make this upgrade work.

Creative wiring = one-click-on (holding) relay for high-beams...or, alternatively, correct 12v diode to keep power-on to HID circuit, which is energized by low-beam circuit, when high-beams (which takes power away from low-beam ckt) are selected (providing power to solenoids which move projector doors to fully open and allow emission of ALL HID light from projector).

Crystal headlights like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...Q5fAccessories

and Mercedes 3" OEM projectors like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item45f7b23ead

along with Mercedes shrouds: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item35aeb57399

all combined with lots of time (and searching Bing for 'projector retrofit' was extremely helpful) plus a 55w HID kit (again, Ebay).

I secured the projectors to the inside of 'crystal' headlights using self-tapping screws (after cutting center out of 'crystal' lights to allow rear of projectors to protrude), repeatedly making sure they were aimed correctly, attached the shrouds with hot-glue gun, made a 'custom' cover for rear of headlight housing (out of 4" diameter rubber pipe, normally used for connecting PVC pipe,...LOTS of test-fitting in truck recommended before final-gluing will save time (and sledgehammer + Sawzall modification of headlight-buckets...) in long-run). I finalized seal for rear cover (not forgetting, of course, to install HID lights in housing) with carefully-trimmed rubber sheeting and secured with hot-glue gun. I final-sealed entire assembly with clear RTV.

I let the whole assembly dry overnight to let any hazardous fumes (from RTV) out of the housing, installed on truck, tested, aimed (using the 25-ft aiming procedure found here: http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf), and began enjoying my new, brighter, better-focused headlights.

I've had no issues since installation, haven't had ANYONE 'bright-flash' me, and definitely think this is a worthwhile (but time-consuming) upgrade for our trucks. I'm NEVER able to out-drive my headlights, anymore + spot deer and other 'road-obstacles' with plenty of warning, now. I'm in the process of making custom Lexan lenses instead of the originals from headlight kit (which have 'dispersing lines' in lens) so the light is even more-focused/brighter. I'll try to remember to take photos while fabricating these lenses...
1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 long bd ext cab, BD Compounds (finally), ATS Billet trans. billet flex disc, 5-star cnvrtr, TC controller, Bosch 370's, 3k GSK, modded full-fwd #0 plate, projector HID's, star wheel maxed, Aeroturbine 5" turbo-back, missing kitty can, 2.5" lift, Thomas on-board air, Nathan K5LA TRAIN HORNS, 35" BFG Mud Terrains on 2006 Ram 2500 17" alum wheels, Autometer boost, pyro, and trans-temp gauges, Amsoil bypass filters. LED strobes. ARP studs next....

Tags
Diesel, headlights, HID, projectors, ram 2500 cummins