Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default 48RE Cracked Overdrive Housing?

So... Took a little Thanksgiving vacation to Moab, UT with some friends (we live in Denver). Had my R-Pod 171 in tow, and my Honda Pioneer 500 in the bed, between those two I was probably moving an extra 4,500 to 5,000 lbs... So not much. Truck did awesome, it's made the trip quite a few times usually moving much more weight, so no surprise there.

Got home and found little dots of oil all over the trailer, turns out it was ATF, and its covering everything from the cross-member back. I spent 15-20 minutes looking for the leak and came up with zip. It's defiantly not leaking when parked and it hasn't let a drop go since I parked it after unhooking the camper. It's defiantly leaking onto the cross-member, as it is covered from frame rail to frame rail and is the ONLY place I could actually find a drip.

I wasn't any harder on the truck than normal, and don't specifically remember any weird noises, and defiantly no vibrations that my wife or I felt. I do know my front u-joints are iffy, I can feel them in sharp 2WD turns now where I wasn't able to a year ago. Carrier bearing is old, but all the rubber seems to be intact.

Armed with all that information I went after the google machine and it seems to think that my overdrive housing is cracked. Seems like a regular problem on these trucks, however I couldn't find anything about it searching this forum... Figured Maxtorq might have something to say about the situation...

Any information on this would be great, is there a definitive way to tell that's the issue with out removing the trans. If that is the problem, can it be replaced with out taking the trans out, who makes the best housing replacement or should I scrounge for a factory unit?

Thanks for any and all help!
PZ

Last edited by phazertwo; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction in title.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

look for a worn flat spot on the two metal tranny lines rubbing together. That's where I found mine. Also check line connections on radiator. Been there, done that!
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Busted overdrive housings are the result of the front drive shaft cardon joint worn out.

Search Tim Holts threads there is one thread in particular that discusses this.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRMKR27 View Post
look for a worn flat spot on the two metal tranny lines rubbing together. That's where I found mine. Also check line connections on radiator. Been there, done that!
I inspected the lines pretty closely, but I will certainly give it another go. The fluid starts at the transmission crossmember, and obviously sprays back from there, so it's not the connections at the cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Busted overdrive housings are the result of the front drive shaft cardon joint worn out.

Search Tim Holts threads there is one thread in particular that discusses this.
Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

PZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Think I found the Thread. I'll drop a link here to save anyone else the hassle of searching. It was actually started by a different user, but Tim defiantly dropped a lot of tech in the thread.

http://www.dieselram.com/showthread....bration&page=1

PZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago

there is a neutral switch up on top of tranny that could leak also a busted housing seems unreal but??
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford]
2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinforme View Post
there is a neutral switch up on top of tranny that could leak also a busted housing seems unreal but??
I was thinking it was unreal too... then after searcing I realized it's a somewhat frequent thing.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I'm going to try to crawl under it again and see what there is to be seen. Thinking I'm going to clean it all off with brake clean and then take it for a short drive and see if I can figure out where it's coming from... Except our washing machine ****ed the bed last night, so that's going to be priority #1. When it rains it pours right?

PZ
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinforme View Post
Itís unreal because most donít see it. I have a whole 48 early case and guts with a busted overdrive housing and planet. Cardon joint busted and wasted the transfer case.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com