Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 03-11-2017

Default Electrical Gremlins

I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

I changed out the box and put a flat deck on the '98 so we could carry the Side-by-side in the truck rather than in the living space of the toyhauler.

So I went with new fancy tail lights. When the headlights are on or turning the tail lights are red.

When you want to back up they turn bright white. They were fantastic until last night.

The truck was in park and off. Two of the reverse diodes in the right tail light were faintly lit. I was replacing it today under warranty, so I just cut the wire to the back up light feature. All was good.

Tonight I noticed the left tail light (all Diodes) were faintly lit. I tried the headlights, the right one came on red, but the left one was still faintly lit with the back up lights.

I tried the truck in reverse and the back-up lights came on full bright, so I snipped the back up wire and all the red ones came on.

I know there is some power is coming to the back-up light wire from somewhere, but it is not full power.

Where to start?
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 03-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R_R View Post
I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

I changed out the box and put a flat deck on the '98 so we could carry the Side-by-side in the truck rather than in the living space of the toyhauler.

So I went with new fancy tail lights. When the headlights are on or turning the tail lights are red.

When you want to back up they turn bright white. They were fantastic until last night.

The truck was in park and off. Two of the reverse diodes in the right tail light were faintly lit. I was replacing it today under warranty, so I just cut the wire to the back up light feature. All was good.

Tonight I noticed the left tail light (all Diodes) were faintly lit. I tried the headlights, the right one came on red, but the left one was still faintly lit with the back up lights.

I tried the truck in reverse and the back-up lights came on full bright, so I snipped the back up wire and all the red ones came on.

I know there is some power is coming to the back-up light wire from somewhere, but it is not full power.

Where to start?
Beats me My cargo lights stay on foe about a minute after turning everything off, just changed the bulbs. Must be gamma rays
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 03-12-2017

I just went out and checked and I am getting 9 volts to the left and right back-up light wires.
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.