Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

My truck should be done tomorrow. I asked the mechanic to look into it while working on the transfer case seals and bushing he called today and said it would be all done tomorrow and so I will pick it up Saturday morning, hopefully he found something if not I will look into it and either post what he found or post my findings.

Thank you.
Old 1 Week Ago

Well the transfer case leak is done but the heat issue has him kinda stumped.

He took it for a drive and seen 1st hand my issue and he also said the engine temp drops at idle too. I haven't looked at that gauge when I noticed the heater temp drop, I should have asked how much of a drop on the gauge but forgot to. He asked what temp thermostat I put in (190 I think) and where I got it. He said he was gonna change it and I said go ahead. He also said the fan seemed to spin good but had another one in the shop and was going to try that.

Any other suggestions? I also told him about the tube getting plugged but don't know if he checked that but I don't think that would explain the engine temp dropping.

It has been in the low single digits so the engine temp would be more noticeable for him then when I was driving it.
Old 1 Week Ago

Get a thermostat from Cummins! Aftermarket (Stant, etc.) don't work well in our trucks.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 1 Week Ago

Engine temp drops 25* at idle and back up by touching the accelerator. Not sure where he got the new thermostat but will check.
Old 1 Week Ago

I'm thinking water pump.....
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 1 Week Ago

Quite a difference between a Cummins T-stat and aftermarket junk.
Cummins is on the right.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by datec View Post
This has me and my new mechanic kinda stumped. After rebuilding the entire truck, 2000 1ton 4x4 diesel, new everything including heater core and all a/c parts and lines. Original radiator and condenser still perfect cond. just cleaned and reinstalled.

Last winter I thought the heat was really just warm when it use to burn you out of the cab before, I didn't drive it much so didn't give it much thought until now that it's winter again.

I noticed it wouldn't get up to temp so I installed a new thermostat and it helped a little but not much on the heat.

I noticed that at an idle the heat coming thru the vents is just warm even when you are stopped at a red light, but as soon as you press the accelerator it gets hot and stays hot, get off the accelerator back to just warm....

One mechanic told me my clutch fan is to blame but that made me scratch my head thinking how and why Could that cause the issue?...

So while the truck is getting inspected and the transfer seals replaced by a recommended diesel mechanic he too feels the same as me about the fan but said he really doesn't know.

Does anyone here have any experience with this issue? I would really like to get it right the first time. The fluid level is good also that is what I suspected at first but it's good.

Could there be an air pocket still in there somewhere that needs burped out? I have about 1000 miles on it since it was completed, I don't drive it much but want it in tip top shape.

Whats in red is your clue as to what I believe is your issue . Block has an air lock in it. Real easy to get rid of. On the passengers side of the block there are a series of plugs. When the truck is cold remove some of the antifreeze, remove the smallest plug in the front. Fill system again until you have antifreeze come out this hole. Replace the plug and continue to fill until full..

Oh and the new aluminum cores don't transfer heat as good as the older brass cores did.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 1 Week Ago

My thermostat from Cummins was not closing, varying temperature but not reaching 190F completely Sunday so I got one from the local chain type parts store brand and now it holds steady 190F
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin

Last edited by Clunk; 1 Week Ago at 07:38 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Whats in red is your clue as to what I believe is your issue . Block has an air lock in it. Real easy to get rid of. On the passengers side of the block there are a series of plugs. When the truck is cold remove some of the antifreeze, remove the smallest plug in the front. Fill system again until you have antifreeze come out this hole. Replace the plug and continue to fill until full..

Oh and the new aluminum cores don't transfer heat as good as the older brass cores did.
Thank You for that I will look at it when I get it back, I'm not sure he will get it all out with just changing the thermostat, which he did and said it is holding better then it was.

Would draining the coolant and using an Airlift vacuum tool to fill it work? I recently acquired one of those.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRMKR27 View Post
Quite a difference between a Cummins T-stat and aftermarket junk.
Cummins is on the right.
Dam that is quite a difference, I will have to ask him what he put in when I go pick it up whenever he's done.