Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 03-10-2014

Default Tim holt I need your help....strange 48re problem

I just purchased a built 48re trans. Guy is over an hour away. Installed myself and trans shifts beautiful till truck gets just before full operating temp and trans fails to 2nd gear and stays there. Sometimes you can get it to slam into 3rd but thats it. Let truck cool down, trans shifts great till the exact same time were the truck just reaches right before operating temp. This trans fails like its scheduled. Happens same time every time. If I hop in from a dead cold. It will shift perfect for miles and miles till that point before operating temp. If I let truck warm up till almost operating temp
It wont make it around the block. All the electronics are new. And I am stumped. Trans builder has no clue and im not paying to have truck flatbedded an hour away. He will send me any parts I find wrong. Im at a loss any help would be great
06 RAM 2500 QC SB 4X4, 48re to g56 swap, valair single clutch, EFI live, Cat 2 micron filtration W/ big line kit, fluiddampner, ranch hand front bumper, full thuren suspension w/ king 3.0 shocks, HID lights and fogs, full led lighting front to rear, silver bullet 64 turbo, 5" t back exhaust, pusher intake horn w/ diesle power products billet intake plentum, hurst shifter with pistol grip knob.
Old 03-10-2014

Or max can give some insight...didnt forget about you buddy....I really need some direction
06 RAM 2500 QC SB 4X4, 48re to g56 swap, valair single clutch, EFI live, Cat 2 micron filtration W/ big line kit, fluiddampner, ranch hand front bumper, full thuren suspension w/ king 3.0 shocks, HID lights and fogs, full led lighting front to rear, silver bullet 64 turbo, 5" t back exhaust, pusher intake horn w/ diesle power products billet intake plentum, hurst shifter with pistol grip knob.
Old 03-11-2014
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Bit confused here your signature say 48re to G56???????????

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-11-2014

I went back to a 48re.
Old 03-11-2014
Administrator

Bone stock or modified transmission?

Got a good scanner?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-12-2014

It is a new modified trans. And I stand corrected trans is staying in first gear. It doesn't fail to 1st. But once up to operating temp once u slow to a stop then its stuck in 1st. Can get it to bang into second if you run rpms up but no shifting after that. Happens like clockwork every time. All electronics are new
Old 03-12-2014

New as in when trans was built. I have not tried a pressure solenoid or sensor. I have scanned the truck and I do have good governor pressure and transducer is at correct temp. But once stuck in 1st gov pressure is at were it would be in first. My output speed is a little erratic. Reads 1rpm at a dead stop and kinda bounces around. But no codes for it. Could this be my problem?
Old 03-12-2014

If it is similar to the 47RE and the OSS fails it will try to down shift and stay in first. Mine did that when the sensor failed and also when the connector was loose. Mine did it no matter what the trans temp was.
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 03-12-2014

Well trans shifts beautiful up till operating temp. I know output speed sensor can cause no shift from first but its usually all the time not once it gets hot.
Old 03-12-2014
Administrator

What happens if you manually shift it?

Does it still have the Throttle Valve Motor on the side of the trans?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com