Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 09-09-2017

Default Deletes and Engine Temps

My '07 has a 'stealth delete', DPF is gutted...so I was told...and everything is unplugged with a H&S programmer running interference for the unplugged stuff. (EGR & DPF)
The EGR cooler and piping are still in place.
Would this have any affect on engine temps being it's unplugged?
Warm days, pulling hard I have to keep an eye on engine temps. If I hold it to 60 pulling hills it heats up to near 240. Drops back quickly if I back off, and stays comfortable if I let er drop to about 50 pulling the hills.
Truck pulls strong. Has no problem sitting dead on 60mph while hauling a 12x32 cabin, just the engine temps.

Wondering if I would gain anything by removing and capping the EGR stuff.

Might be a slight inaccuracy in the gauge too. I notice it suddenly jumps from about 220 to 240, and drops back suddenly the same 20 deg spread, but wouldn't really know if it's jumping ahead or lagging behind.

Thoughts?
#10 fuel plate, AFC mods, straight exhaust, silencer ring...??
99 2500 2wd, quad cab, auto, raptor on frame rail, big line kit, k&n filter right on the turbo.
'07, megacab, 2wd, dually, 6.7, 6 spd auto,
DPF gutted, h&s programmer, jasper turbo.

My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 09-10-2017

Check the airpath through the radiator and all baffling material that seals the front is in place, proper mix ratio of antifreeze to distilled water is correct and is anything installed on the front of the truck such as aftermarket light bars, etc. Clean the A/C condenser coils as well....bugs fill mine pretty often. The next steps involve more effort and money....direct reading gage and verify accuracy of factory unit.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 09-11-2017
Administrator

Like Jet says make sure your rad is clean, it needs to be pulled and hosed out to really get it clean, just spraying a hose through it won't do it.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 09-11-2017
Super Moderator

How heavy are you? That has a lot to do with stuff too. Tons of drag pulling a 32 ft long 12 ft wide box. How big of hills? It might be kinda normal. My Cummins used to climb pretty high too. I would think that probably about a 5 to 10 percent error factor in the sensors.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV

Last edited by HerkyBird2001; 09-11-2017 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-15-2017

I have actually unbolted the A/C condenser & washed everything, soaked with engine degreaser & flushed with fire hose.

Ranch hand bumper on front, oversize load sign across the bottom. Removing sign didn't change anything.

Herk, gross around 25k, and yes, it's a big wind sock.
Just interesting how 10 diff in outside temp makes all the difference. Under 80 it's a non issue, 85 keep an eye on it, 90+ be careful!

Another shed hauler said removing the emissions parts would make it run cooler, even if they were unplugged/turned off....
I just wasn't sure.
99 2500 2wd, quad cab, auto, raptor on frame rail, big line kit, k&n filter right on the turbo.

Last edited by smokediver; 09-15-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-15-2017

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Do you hear the engine fan roaring at that temp? Are you running Air Conditioning while pulling hills?
Old 09-20-2017

Yes, engine fan is engaging,
and yes, A/C is running.
If it don't I run hot too!

Last edited by smokediver; 09-20-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Old 09-20-2017

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

The EGR cooler is open to the exhaust manifold (The EGR valve is after the cooler) So I suppose completely removing it could help. If you are running more fuel and boost with the programmer you could simply be running out of cooling system capacity.

Our service trucks have ISB's rated at 360hp 800 torque with allison 3500 rds transmissions, tour guys turn the AC off and set it to recirc when pulling hills just to keep the engine fan from running as much.
Old 09-20-2017

II'm running the mildest tune that gets the job done.
Tow tune, No smoke, ever. Low boost fueling enabled, timing at...whatever the default was.
Would probably learn a lot by installing that EGT gauge thats under the back seat.... yeah, I know....

Last edited by smokediver; 09-20-2017 at 09:02 PM..