Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 09-20-2016

Default 68rfe vs Aisin

Morning guys....help me understand the differences. Looking to purchase soon and the truck will be mainly a tow truck for a 20,000lb loaded rv.

thanks
Old 09-20-2016

The 68 with the 4:10 rears is only rated to tow 21,650, you would be close to the rated max. I’m only towing around 16K and am glad I got the Aisin. Big difference from the 68 in the 2008 truck towing the same trailer. Better shifting, no herkey jerkey, doesn’t get hot even when pulling hills in 98 degree weather. For me it was well worth the extra $.
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-20-2016

Thanks. Trouble is finding a late model with the aisin that has the other things i'd like. Trim package, 8 ft box, 4x4...
Old 09-20-2016

Looking at DRW?
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-21-2016

Yes.I plan to keep my '02 2500, and within the next year or so would like to buy the truck we plan to travel in. We are still in the planning mode, selling some of the investment property and preparing to see the US. Looking for 3:73 gears, 4x4, probably a Laramie package with crew or mega cab and 8 ft box. My '02 has a 6sp manual transmission, and I was really surprised when I got a '16 spec sheet from the dealer where I bought the '02. Towing capacity really went down with the manual so the aisin looks like the best choice towing the weight we will be. No hurry, we will probably work for around another year. You never know when you will run up on what you're looking for. I have found a couple trucks with the 68rfe, but I just want to understand the pros and cons around the two trannys.

thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

While the inner working are relatively the same the Aisin is larger and was designed as a medium duty transmission where as the 68 was not. The Aisin will handle as advertised 850 to 950lbs of torq. 68RFE was limits to 750. The gearing is different. Jury is still as to how it will handle power upgrades. Only one draw back at this time is that the fluid for the AS 68 and 69RC is specifics and costs 14 dollars a quart at 12 qts for a service. And 100 bucks for filters.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCranks View Post
Yes.I plan to keep my '02 2500, and within the next year or so would like to buy the truck we plan to travel in. We are still in the planning mode, selling some of the investment property and preparing to see the US. Looking for 3:73 gears, 4x4, probably a Laramie package with crew or mega cab and 8 ft box. My '02 has a 6sp manual transmission, and I was really surprised when I got a '16 spec sheet from the dealer where I bought the '02. Towing capacity really went down with the manual so the aisin looks like the best choice towing the weight we will be. No hurry, we will probably work for around another year. You never know when you will run up on what you're looking for. I have found a couple trucks with the 68rfe, but I just want to understand the pros and cons around the two trannys.

thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
While the inner working are relatively the same the Aisin is larger and was designed as a medium duty transmission where as the 68 was not. The Aisin will handle as advertised 850 to 950lbs of torq. 68RFE was limits to 750. The gearing is different. Jury is still as to how it will handle power upgrades. Only one draw back at this time is that the fluid for the AS 68 and 69RC is specifics and costs 14 dollars a quart at 12 qts for a service. And 100 bucks for filters.

Just bought a 3500 Mega with the Aisin, I believe with the Aisin the gearing may only be 3;42's, when I priced and build, 3;73's would be kicked out, so mine comes with 3;42's

Didn't know about the trans fluid.... No more ATF+4?? Don't take delivery till next Thursday. Also, people should look to Dave Smith Motors....
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 03-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
Just bought a 3500 Mega with the Aisin, I believe with the Aisin the gearing may only be 3;42's, when I priced and build, 3;73's would be kicked out, so mine comes with 3;42's

Didn't know about the trans fluid.... No more ATF+4?? Don't take delivery till next Thursday. Also, people should look to Dave Smith Motors....
I looked at Dave Smith, they wanted to sell me what they wanted. They did have good deals, but when I looked around I found the truck and Dave smith gave me their deal and the stealer I went to online beat the deal. You going to pick the truck up and drive it home?
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 03-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
I looked at Dave Smith, they wanted to sell me what they wanted. They did have good deals, but when I looked around I found the truck and Dave smith gave me their deal and the stealer I went to online beat the deal. You going to pick the truck up and drive it home?
I believe Dave Smith uploads all their trucks, in my case, I bought one with close to $4K more in options than what the dealer had on a truck I looked at, at $1300. less than what the dealer was going to give me! Pretty much all Dave Smith trucks are loaded! My friends Duracrap was loaded!
Yes, flying up and driving home.
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 03-22-2017

That would be a cool vacation, buy a truck across the country, fly there then drive it back while touring the country.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin