Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-27-2014

Default Clutch interlock switch

This morning I read on another site of a possible fault in the clutch safety switch and that the NHTSA has received reports of failures in the field. Tested mine this morning at work and my truck WILL start with the pedal out. I looked at the switch and it is connected. Here is what I read. Date Investigation Opened: MAY 19, 2014

Date Investigation Closed: Open

NHTSA Action Number: PE14013

Component(s): POWER TRAIN

Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC

SUMMARY:

ODI has received three vehicle owner complaints (VOQs) alleging incidents of engine crank or start when the clutch was not engaged due to clutch interlock switch failure. The complaints involved 1 model year (MY) 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 truck and 2 MY 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 trucks equipped with manual transmissions. One complaint (VOQ 10566076) involved an incident that occurred when a child was able to enter the vehicle and start the ignition without depressing the clutch. The vehicle then moved forward striking another child resulting in a fatality. A second complaint (10533996) described an incident that occurred when the engine was cranked without the clutch pedal depressed while an individual was standing directly in front of the vehicle performing work under the hood. The clutch interlock failed to prevent the engine from cranking, which resulted in vehicle movement into the pedestrian performing work under the hood. The individual was knocked to the ground, but did not report any injuries. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to ***** the scope, frequency and safety-related consequences of the alleged defect. VOQs associated with the opening of this investigation are: 10585619, 10533073 and 10533996. You might check yours.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 05-27-2014

Holy crap Batman. That is dangerous as he@#. How come it took until now to find this out?
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 05-28-2014

I don't know what all the fuss is about here....older vehicles do not have clutch interlock switches. Anybody who drives a manual shift vehicle SHOULD KNOW that you don't crank the engine without disengaging (notice I said disengaging) the clutch. Case in point: Way back when I was a teen, a buddy of my Dad borrowed Dad's truck. Being the cool guy may dad is, he delivered it to the guy and I picked him up and brought him back home. 30 minutes later phone rings, "truck won't start...won't even click!" Dad and I run back over to his house, I hop in the truck, turn the key, vroom! Shut it off, he hops in, turns key, nothing. I ask,"Did you depress the clutch pedal?" He looks at me stupid and say, "No, its in neutral!!!" Hence began the discussion about the clutch switch and how it works!
Story #2": Wife stops at her mothers house to run in and get something from her....only a minute! Leaves our 2 yr old in the car (car is a Honda Accord 5spd manual) and key is in the ignition. She figured it safe as our son obviously cannot reach the clutch pedal....so the car won't start. Just as she emerges from the door of her mom's house, my son turns the key, engine fired in 1st gear, and away he goes idling at walking speed. Wife catches the car, jumps in, stops it right in the middle of her mothers garden!!! I called my buddy who was head mechanic at the Honda dealer...turns out an '87 Accord 5spd does NOT have a clutch switch. As a result of that incident, I treat all manual vehicles as if they have no clutch switch....same as I never point a weapon at anything I don't want to shoot...loaded or unloaded...doesn't matter!
So, yes, I think clutch switches are a great idea and very much needed. However, I also believe that folks should never let children play unattended in a vehicle (personal experience on that one) and should never NEVER crank an engine without depressing the clutch pedal! (Okay, I'll put my soap box away now.)
2003 3500 ST 4x4 QC SWB SRW Black 305/555 ISB NV5600 3.73LS Tow Pkg, Tow Mirrors, Z-liner. Added Factory Cruise Control for $43.00** Silencer Ring & Baffle tube on shelf in garage. B&W hitch.* 310K on odo.* Magnaflow 4" Stainless Turbo Back - Vrooommm!!* REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS OR GLOW PLUGS!!!* God Bless
Old 05-28-2014

Clutch interlock switches have been around for a long time on some vehicles, Dad's 73 Duster (3 on the tree) had one. I never knew mine was bad til I checked mine yesterday and I will further test the circuit today. In many ways we have dumbed down America to the lowest common (dumbest) denominator to protect the people who won't think for themselves. It is not the Government's place to take care of you from cradle to grave. If you have little ones a clutch switch is a good idea, they know where you keep your keys, too.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 05-28-2014
Administrator

I know mines good unless i push the clutch to the firewall it won't start.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 05-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
In many ways we have dumbed down America to the lowest common (dumbest) denominator to protect the people who won't think for themselves. It is not the Government's place to take care of you from cradle to grave. If you have little ones a clutch switch is a good idea, they know where you keep your keys, too.
Amen to that!!!!
2003 3500 ST 4x4 QC SWB SRW Black 305/555 ISB NV5600 3.73LS Tow Pkg, Tow Mirrors, Z-liner. Added Factory Cruise Control for $43.00** Silencer Ring & Baffle tube on shelf in garage. B&W hitch.* 310K on odo.* Magnaflow 4" Stainless Turbo Back - Vrooommm!!* REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS OR GLOW PLUGS!!!* God Bless
Old 05-29-2014

I say no to clutch switches ??? case in point they teach you in off roading to start Jeeps in gear when climbing saves wear and tear to clutches and Oppppsssyyy
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 05-30-2014

Must be the week for car problems....the three bolts holding the steering box to the frame on the Crown corroded allowing two of the three to fail.....my son said he heard a pop and the steering got loose but I think one had something to do with the other.....

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamDiesel3500 View Post
Amen to that!!!!
And AMEN again!!

I agree with a certain degree of safety precaution, and I do think clutch switches are an excellent idea (especially since I started my tractor from the starter solenoid after the ex stole the keys) on the trailer and it crawled into the bed of my Dodge.

BUT, we must learn to take responsibility for our own actions!
"Some" individuals wanted to buy the newest firetruck with stability/rollover control, but I jumped up and down, screamed and hollered, and said if you didn't have the skills to drive the truck without it driving for you then you didn't need to be behind the wheel in the first place !!!!

Big Brother is gonna keep mandating us to the point where it's illegal to eat fried chicken if you're over 200# !!!
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Big Brother is gonna keep mandating us to the point where it's illegal to eat fried chicken if you're over 200# !!!
Yes, this is the very reason why they are trying to regulate the size of soft drink cups (oh please....wake up America).
Several years ago local ordinance forced me to install a regulator valve in the hot water supply of my new home "so my kids don't get burned by the hot water in the shower". My reply was "if you make me put this thing in, you will be inhibiting my ability to teach my kids how to have the common sense necessary to not burn themselves....and thus, they will get scalded the first time they take a shower at an older house with no regulator valve!!!!
And so, as soon as the inspector signed off on the permit...I tore that valve out of the wall and tossed it in the scrap metal pile!!!!!!!
Kid are married now...never got scalded (I taught them better)...and have turned out just fine! Oh and I have nice hot HOT water whenever I want it!!