Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 05-20-2014

Default It is not the Cummins parts that you think they are

The old '98 has only 200,000 miles, not that many you say!
It has been through some upgrades lately.
Dropped in and saw MaxTorq for a few updates/upgrades, 90 horse injectors, upgraded turbo.
Got home and noticed a slight chugging after pulling off the highway with the toyhauler behind. Max suggested it may be the fuel pump.
Purchased the Banjo Bolt Snubber - 14MM (CBS010) by Tork Tec and installed a fuel pressure gauge to get an accurate reading. Pressure was low. Pinched down the return line now pressure increased, so the overflow valve is worn. Replaced the overflow valve with the Tork Tec adjustable valve and re-read the pressures, damn still to low.
Purchased a new genuine Cummins fuel transfer pump. Guess what?? Made in China, sad but true.
I just hope it is as reliable as the original.
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 05-20-2014

How much pressure does that P7100 need?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 05-20-2014

Max tells me:
Idle 28 - 32
@ 2500 rpm 38 - 42

Mine is reading 26 maximum.
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 05-20-2014
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Come on Clunk you been here how long?

PPumps are fuel hogs they need a fair amount of fuel to operate properly. It's not like VE pump that needs 8psi.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 05-21-2014

I just put a new lift pump on my 94, it says genuine Cummins part right on it and made in china. My original lift pump made over 800,000 miles before it got week, the second pump was made in china but didn't say Cummins, it went 4,500 miles and started leaking badly. I hope number three takes after number 1.
98 2500 Quad 5sp 4x4 12 valve, #100 plate, 3kgsk, bhaf, 4" ss magnaflow, afc kit, super contacts, viper hood, gorila bumper, otto-max springs, heckethorn shocks, american racing wheels with 285 scorpions, runners, xenon flares, x-liner
Old 05-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Come on Clunk you been here how long?
10 years last March....Hey, don't I get a gift card, free supper or at least a hoochie-koochie girl table dance for 10 years?

Hey Cougar, what did you get last October?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Old 05-22-2014

Ok, back on topic, would a constant 42psi from an electric pump be ok or do low engine speeds require lower pressure?

Quote:
Old 05-22-2014

Here is some valuable information:
http://torkteknology.com/news.php?newsid=5
http://www.torkteknology.com/news/7/...nlet-Line.html
Old 05-23-2014

John, that's funny! I didn't get anything either but hey it is post world economy collapse right?
2012 3500 Laramie, LWB, Crew Cab, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L Oil Burner, 3:73 gears, Auto, S&B Air Intake, 35" Goodyear All Weather Tread, 2" Carrier Spring lvl kit with FOX Shocks, BD Adjustable Track Bar, DSS Stabilizer, Serviceable ball joints and tie rod ends, FLOPRO Exhaust, RACEME, Bright Source HID, Colour Match Canopy, VHF Radio and Cell Booster Cradle, AMP Bumper Step.
Old 05-23-2014

I play too much.
Back to the topic, the 2nd link John provided described fuel line sizing and a really big line on the delivery side is discussed.
Looks like a lift pump fuel pressure gauge would show whether there was a need.

Quote: