Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 06-03-2016

Default Air Conditioning Condenser

Anyone here have a 2006 and had to change the a/c condenser? My existing is fin-and-tube, and all the replacements I can find are Microchannel... Virtually guaranteed to reduce the refrigerant capacity. Any input?
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.
Old 06-03-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

I'm gonna have to say HUH?

What is micro channel. Every replacement we have done have been exact repop.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-04-2016

Microchannel
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
Old 06-04-2016

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....432342&jsn=401
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 06-04-2016

Yes, JFJ, the RockAuto pic is microchannel; the original was fin-and-tube. In general a microchannel core only holds 30 to 50% of the fin-and-tube core. We see them all the time on our Carrier AquaSnap chillers and others using R410a.
Old 06-05-2016

OEM units are quite a bit more expensive than the Rockauto.....Have to check with my guy Monday morning on a price on ours A/C condenser core...55057095AA....I get 20-25% off list from Knoxvegas stealer.....I've blistered a couple of deerwith my truck, so far the A/C condenser is still intact albeit dinged...Amazon has one for a tic over 300 bones
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 06-05-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Ok I see what your looking at.

System will still hold a 1lb 14oz.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-05-2016

Thanks, MT & JFJ, the Murray replacement from O'Really's was 130; there is also a second version for 200... The more expensive, however, has one of its connections too close to the intercooler... The Murray 7-3657 is a perfect fit.
Thanks, Max, hoping to flush the evaporator and the primary liquid line (condenser to orifice tube) this evening (if this desert heat subsides!) and assemble, evacuate and recharge the whole shebang; we'll see how she works. I'm surprised how dry the condenser came out; compressor may have failed from insufficient lubricant...put in 4 oz. last time, 7 is called for if system completely dry.
Old 07-07-2016

Unhappy

Well, after changing the condenser, orifice line, accumulator, compressor(twice! The "new" replacement had a defective relief valve!) flex line set, flushing the evaporator and primary liquid line with Rx11, and a new belt, I finally got the time to charge the system. 24 oz. of fresh R134a got it cooling on this 75* night and I saw head pressures hitting 350... Not good. It can't possibly be subcooling sufficiently. I can hear the clutch fan speeding up but not until the head pressure hits the stratosphere. Is the head pressure"switch" actually a transducer?
Old 07-09-2016

Default High-side transducer

Well, gentlemen, after some research, I have found that the high-side device screwed onto the discharge line is indeed a transducer, and is roughly a $70 part. Replacing the transducer kept the head pressure at or below 250... Far more acceptable.

I do wish, however, to caution those who replace the older style fin-and-tube condenser with the new-design Microchannel core...the system gets full at or below 24 ounces, not the usual 30; the Microchannel passages are so minute that the hold far less refrigerant than the tubing. The reason that they cool better is that the far more numerous passages have more surface area to convey the heat away. At 24 ounces the right side registers achieve the same temperature drop as the left and most of the accumulator casing sweats.

If after charging to the label capacity, you check the surface of the condenser core nearest the outlet and again nearest the inlet, and the temperature difference is less than ten degrees or so, you're overcharged. Especially if the head pressure is excessive.