Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 01-08-2013

Default truck bucking while accelerating, have less power

Hi Guys, I have an issue which is result of my latest "moron" moment (please keep laughter to a minimum).

I have an '01 2500 4x4 with about 179,000 miles on it. Banks Big Hoss Level 5, K&N air Filter, EGT and Boost gauges, Boost Jet Kit, and 4" Monster Exhaust. About to install High-Ram intake horn, but need to fix this issue first.

I installed a steel auxillary fuel tank which my brother gave me. Long story short, it stopped feeding the main tank, found out there was a lot of rust on the bottom of the tank which clogged the line feeding the main tank (thats the Moron moment). Disconnected and truck has been driving fine.

Last week, my girlfriend was driving the truck and ran out of fuel; put fuel in, bumped the starter, and drove home. Next day I went out, truck starts normal, idles fine, drives on normal streets fine, however when I get on the highway and "get on it", it starts bucking, like it is missing fuel or almost as if there is a fuel govenor. This is happening at all speeds and RPM's, and only when trying to accelerate on highway.

Reading through the forums, i have tried cleaning the IAT sensor, MAP sensor, have reset the APPS. With none of that working, i decided to look at the fuel filter. Filter fine, but had a bunch of rust particles in the bottom of the fuel filter canister. Cleaned them out, ran again, same issue. dropped the main fuel tank, washed out (there were particles in the tank), blew air down the fuel line back to the tank, reconnected. Same issue.

Now I am fearing i have junk in the IP or the injectors. Although I am still hoping it is electrical since truck runs like a champ at start up, idle, and slow speeds. Also noticing the engine temp rarely gets off the 140 mark, although it has been cold lately, which to us Texas boys is down in the 40's.

I have checked for codes several times, no codes. I know you guys are going to ask what fuel pressure is and I am going to get the tester later today and will update the post. Do I check pressure at fitting by IP or on the back of the Fuel Filter canister?

After checking pressure, what are my next steps? Any ideas appreciated.

Is there a way to clean out the IP, HP fuel lines, and injectors?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

WELCOME DR. We all do our fair share of bone head manuevers. You are in the best place to get these fixed when you do.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck? If not invest in one. Secondly mine runs off the inlet into the injector pump. You loose some pressure going through the filter of course. Also make sure all the air is bled out of the fuel system. It can take a while to bleed out. Usually if the injector pump fails it usually starts to throw codes. You always on these trucks want to monitor lift pump pressure. You may want to change the filter and run a good amount of power service through it. Check for some water in the fuel too.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 01-08-2013

Sounds like your truck ingested some of that rust and it's not happy about it.

2003 Honda Civic, 1.7 lit, auto, 2 door
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. The wifes.
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

Could be that too. Hopefully not. That is worst case scenario.

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

Old 01-08-2013

picked up Fuel Pressure test kit. will be able to get tested later this evening and will update post with results. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013

forgot to mention in original post, i did replace the fuel filter. Also when I picked up Fuel pressure test kit, also got some Power Service and added with fill up a different station. I had been filling up at one station for several months, they had .12 off through Dec 31.
Old 01-08-2013
Administrator

Welcome to Dieselram.

When you dropped the tank, was there a lot of rust on the screen on the fuel module/pickup assy?

If you're running the stock lift pump, there's also a small screen in that too. Have to pull it off & take the 3 studs out & take the top plate off. Normally if I pull a l/p off, I change it.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 01-08-2013

There were some rust particles floating on the bottom of the tank, however much less than i anticipated based on what I saw in the Fuel filter canister. The fuel looked clear too, gotta love that green hue!

The screen on the fuel module was red and started falling apart. It felt like wet paper, very fragile. I noticed it was a seperate part and called 4 dealers asking if they carried it, of course the answer was no, that I needed to replace the whole module. I ended up taking off the rest of the screen and reinstalling the unit. i didn't want any of that screen entering the fuel system.

I do have a stock lift pump, original i believe. Based on the amount of stuff in the Fuel filter canister, my guess is screen in the LP is shot too. Do you know how much a replacement screen is? part number?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013

I sure hope you didn't eat the IP when your GF ran the truck out of fuel. No fuel in these trucks is a bad thing.
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

The screen in the lift pump is built inside the lift pump. I don't think you can get to it without disassembling the pump. However the pump screen is metal and looks pretty tough. If careful with a q tip or something you might be able to wipe it out or maybe blow it out with compressed air.

If you don't know if the lift pump is good once you do a pressure test you might want to look at doing FASS. If your on a budget you could get a DDRP it will handle mild upgrades and i was really pleased with mine when i had it. Again i would find a way to constantly monitor fuel pressure from the lift pump. That is one of the fatal links in these trucks. If you did kill the IP and the LP MAXTORQ here has some really nice package deals.

Good luck

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

Tags
engine temp, fuel pressure, missing fuel, truck bucking