Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default NV5600 - long run on oil

So...with life getting pretty crazy, I managed to stay on top of standard service intervals for my truck. However, the NV5600 has no service interval in the book. I assumed this was because full synthetic tranny oil doesn't break down and doesn't get dirty in a manual transmission. For this reason I had never changed the oil in this tranny. Well at 350K miles I began to realize that when the transmission was cold it was also very quiet like when it was new. But after it got warmed up out on the highway it would start getting louder. Lots of gear humming noise coming up through the shifter. So, at 355K I changed the oil. Gave it a new belly full of Amsoil MTF. All the noise is gone now. Sounds the same cold or hot. So, if anybody out there thinks full synthetic lasts forever...well...it don't! Took me 16 years to prove it....and as far as I can tell the transmission is not damaged. So, yes, it lasts a long LONG time...but not forever!
2003 3500 ST 4x4 QC SWB SRW Black 305/555 ISB NV5600 3.73LS Tow Pkg, Tow Mirrors, Z-liner. Added Factory Cruise Control for $43.00** Silencer Ring & Baffle tube on shelf in garage. B&W hitch.* 372K on odo.* Magnaflow 4" Stainless Turbo Back - Vrooommm!!* REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS OR GLOW PLUGS!!!* God Bless
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Amsoil Sponsor

Glad all is well, Full Synthetics have there limit also but last much longer and provide much better lubrication all round.
WWW.SOSOILS.COM
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
sales@sosoils.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 4 Weeks Ago

My shifts were getting more difficult, Amsoil MTF gave easier shifts.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Funny about the shifts....mine never had any problems with shifting that I could sense by feel. Just got loud as the oil in the tranny warmed up. I figured it was just normal wear and I did not expect much of a difference after the oil change.....but I was very pleasantly surprised with how much quieter it was...especially after 50 miles of driving on a 90F+ day. Kinda made me wish I had done it sooner!
2003 3500 ST 4x4 QC SWB SRW Black 305/555 ISB NV5600 3.73LS Tow Pkg, Tow Mirrors, Z-liner. Added Factory Cruise Control for $43.00** Silencer Ring & Baffle tube on shelf in garage. B&W hitch.* 372K on odo.* Magnaflow 4" Stainless Turbo Back - Vrooommm!!* REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS OR GLOW PLUGS!!!* God Bless