Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 11-29-2020

Default Trans shifting like stock.

Need your help. Not being a trans builder or having heavy in depth knowledge of the inner working of a transmission this trans I had built is giving me the fits bad.

Story starts like this. I have a 2000 4x4 auto and had the trans completely built with Georend's everything including billet shafts (except tail and newly discovered mid shaft, mid shaft corrected as of now) and a -500 triple disc conv. When I got it back it shifted fast and firm and you could feel the need to apply the brake a little harder then stock because of the -500 converter. It was awesome especially when I am pulling a 13klb load.

Drove it approx 3000mi and the trans took a **** but still shifted like the day it was built. Started dumping fluid out the front of the trans. Immediately called for a tow and had it in the shop, another shop, because the original builder passed away. He found the Sun Case had small fractures in it and the pump had scars on shaft said it had to be put together with those issues and it just took this long to show itself and said I would need a new -500 converter cause there might be trash in it and said it would need tore down, cleaned and inspected. I told him everything in it was Georend and that everything has to be done the way he wants it. Upon his inspection he said the mid shaft was not billet and Bob Georend confirmed that it was not part of the original order, somehow it got over looked, no biggie I ordered one along with the replacement converter. I want everything billet except the tail shaft.

Got it back and the next day took it back cause it shifts like a stock truck WTF! I asked him what did you do? it shifts like it's stock, did you touch the valvebody? He insisted he did not touch it or adjust anything in the valvebody. I had Bob call him and they went over the pressures it should have with his valvebody and he said he pressure tested it and it was down and raised it within 5psi.

Well to me not much has changed and this weekend my wife was with me while I was pulling 13klb (3200lb trailer and 9800lb excavator) even she commented that it dosent have a snappy shift, her exact words were it slides into the next gear and that it takes too long to get into the next gear. She drives a school bus and it use it shift like that fast. Now it feels stock. To get my wife to say something holds merit in my book cause she don't drive it at all and rides in it very little and noticed it.

What gives with that? Pump pressure still? Would the pump pressure have anything to do with the way it feels when put into drive (it wanted to go before as soon as it went into drive) and stopping at red lights requires less brake force then before.

What about clutch spacing? If he f@#ed with that what would that do?

I just can't see how just replacing the converter with an exact replacement, replacing the pump and mid shaft could effect the shifting unless something was screwed with and I'm being lied too.

Last edited by datec; 11-29-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11-30-2020
Administrator

Sounds like you guys need to continue to deal with Bob and figure out the issue. From what i have heard , he is a pretty upstanding guy.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 12-01-2020

Bob is outstanding and his products are top notch. Both he, Rob and his wife Dawn have been outstanding and very helpful and generous with their time. I have bought alot of items from both and will continue to because of their willingness to help. I feel that is the least I can do. I have spoke with a shop Bob recommended and will take the 95mi drive to his shop so he can look at it. He over the phone, by my discription of the problem, said he has a real good idea what's wrong and will fix it.
Old 12-02-2020
Administrator

Good to hear.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Update.... got the truck back from Powell's Trans. (https://www.powellstransmissioncenter.com) last weekend. Powell's is a trans shop that Bob had referred me to and is a builder of Goerend transmissions. He found that there was an issue with the valvebody that had somehow gotten trash in it. It shifted great when I noticed the fluid leak and had it flatbedded to the trans repair shop that is local to me. I have been in heavy collision for 35yrs and have sent and done business with them for quite a few years, unfortunately not anymore after this and because he just wouldn't listen to me when I kept saying the valvebody needs looked at, he kept telling me to just drive it everything is fine and setup properly.

Powell's also found the the pressures were set too low and the shift points were adjusted wrong. When I have this truck worked on by anyone I always tell them "When in doubt throw it out" I don't play games with this truck and do exactly what is recommended by both Bob Goerend and Rob no questions asked they are my "go to guys". I use this truck for my after hours business doing concrete and it needs to be ready to pull at all times.

Anyhow the truck shifts awesome, fast, firm just like one should expect with a built transmission. I can't thank and recommend Goerend enough both he and his products are top shelf. If you or anyone needs or looking to have a transmission that is ROCK solid need look no further but have it done by one of his recommended builders. If your in or around the western Pa area give Powell's a call he did a very good job and is extremely honest. He now will be the only one touching that part of this truck if for any reason it needs something, which I doubt short of fluid changes.

https://www.powellstransmissioncenter.com

https://goerend.com

No link needed for Ron's site LOL.

Keep these good guys going buy using their services not just their advice they deserve it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just a quick shout out to Bob Goerend, Rob and Dawn. Thank you for always being there for me you have no idea how much I appreciate you and everything you have done for me.

I wish everyone a very Happy and Safe Holiday season.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the update Datec. Glad everything is good to your satisfaction.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 63-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Doc says I'm in pretty good shape for an 83 year old guy.....one of these days I need to tell him I'm 59.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

That's great to hear! Well done Georand's!

sold