Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 1 Week Ago

Default coolant temps

Okay so I bought a new truck last year (not listed in my profile yet), 2017 2500 4X4 auto. When I'm towing my toyhauler (approx 13K) the coolant temps are concerning me a bit.
On flat ground at 65-70mph with ambient temps around 85f the coolant temps average 215-217, can jump up to 220 before the fan kicks in. Oil temps are around 235, trans temp stays right at 170-180. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

(New Project)1998 2wd dually 12 valve, auto. Banks stinger kit (woohoo!) under construction SOLD

(New older project) 1996 4wd extended cab dually 280K, 5spd. 4:10 gears. Timing at 15 degrees, 4" straight pipe, BHAF, Glowshift gauges SOLD

2008 Megacab 4X4 Dually, DPF delete, HRS tuner.
Old 1 Week Ago

I don't know about normal, but my '07 runs about that. If I'm pulling a 12 wide I gotta keep an eye on it or coolant will hit 230-240. That's with ambient around 90 and rarely getting above 60mph.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 6 Days Ago
Administrator

The new engines run a lot hotter than the older ones, i would say as long as your fan is keeping up with the coolant you are good , the tranny temps are fine as well. When you start getting into the 210 range consistently is when i would be concerned. We have a new tandem volvo for a hooklift truck with a DD13 in it, the oil temp runs just under the red line of the gauge (aprox 235-240*) all of the time dealer says it is normal with the new engines and that if it gets to hot alarms will start going off, just drive it.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 5 Days Ago

I'm about always 210.
220-230 if it's warm out and I'm loaded good.
It's just frustrating, the 6.7 will walk the dog pulling a hill loaded to the gills, but the engine temps won't stay down.
Fan is running some of the time anyway..

Been thinking about a different timing setting on the H&S...
I went with the default, can't tell you what it was.
Maybe drop down one. There were 2 higher and 2 lower.
Tried to research what exactly the settings are and do but didn't find answers.
Is it just like timing your pump? Changing the injection event relative to TDC ?
So lower is more torque and higher is more rpm...?
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 5 Days Ago at 10:13 AM..