Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 05-29-2016

Question Blower Motor

Hi, guys, long time no talk.
I have the dual zone climate controls in my 04.5. I have checked the fuses and relay.
Today with a/c on, I turned the engine off and the blower continued to run. It would operate correctly in al positions. I turned the key on and off and the blower quit. When I got back in the truck the blower was blowing (I had left it on high). Turned the blower control off and the blower stopped. The blower appeared to function correctly in all positions.
The last time I got in the truck to come home the blower would not come back on.
It's raining now, so I can't tear the switch out and check it until, most likely, tomorrow.
If the switch tests ok, where am I heading to from here? Is there a control module for hvac? I have no manual and am finding what I can on line.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,
I have read all the posts pertaining to this that I could find without any more understanding than I had before.
Jake.
Old 05-30-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Is any thing else on when you turn the key to the off position?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 05-30-2016

Not that I am aware. Didn't notice any dash lights, wipers, radio or anything like that. Did notice once, that the radio was too quite to hear well and when I used the steering wheel controls to turn it up, it went clear down to mute before it started turning it up.
Old 05-31-2016
Administrator

Is there still a resistor pack under the glove box forthe fan? That was usually the culprit on my '96 for the fan acting weird.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 06-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
Is there still a resistor pack under the glove box forthe fan? That was usually the culprit on my '96 for the fan acting weird.
Sorry it took so long to reply.
Sorry for the long read.
Got laid off a few weeks ago and it is amazing how busy you get when people discover you have "all the time in the world!"
I have hurt my back, so getting under the dash is gonna be a chore for a while.
CCMKEE: I believe there is a resistor, but I think it may be solid state instead of coiled wires, it's bolted into the blower motor box.
I may have discovered my issue.
I can duplicate the failure by adjusting the steering wheel tilt. Tilted all the way up towards the windscreen the fan starts and remains on until you tilt clear down to the bottom, then the fan turns off. If I tilt back up it starts and I can then find a comfortable spot between top and bottom and the fan remains on and functions correctly.
This tells me there must be a broken wire in the column.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, is this something I could do without many special tools?
I have no manuals and at this (unemployed) point, I can't spring for an FSM. Thought about getting a Haynes manual for the bit of help they offer.
Any thoughts are very welcomed at this point.
Thanks,
Jake.
Old 06-09-2016
Administrator

I think the biggest issue is the air bag and not having it go off in your face while you are working on it. There is a whole proper procedure if i'm not mistaken. Max would know.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 06-09-2016

Thanks ccmckee.
Old 08-28-2018

Default Erratic Blower Motor

I am having a similar issue on my 06 without split climate control. My blower motor speed will decrease significantly. I turn it off and back on and then it does not run at all. I shut the truck off and back on and then 'poof' it is working again. Did you find out what your problem was?
Dave
Old 09-01-2018

I did, and shame on me for not posting it here.
Tore into the steering column and found the plug that goes into the ignition switch a little crispy. Thought I was going to have to replace the harness. Checked parts and availability. No sub harness for the column, would need to be the whole under dash harness. Not. Took it to the stealer ( they have a guy that I pretty well trust) for diag. Blower motor on its way out. Still working but drawing nearly three times the amps it should. That, in turn, heats up the connection at the ignition switch. Said they would fix it for around 6 bills. Not, again. Got the blower and ignition switch from Advance auto (For a little over $100) Did it my self. Had to pay the dealer $125 for the diag. All in all I was out about $300 and about an hour and a half.