Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Generation: NON DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Generation: NON DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L equipped trucks. Post your non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades here. DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this section! For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 06-13-2017

Unhappy More Tranny Blues

07 just quit going forward...50 miles from home.
And 3000 miles out of warranty on the rebuild...(
Still goes backward...but backing a 36 ft trailer 50 miles in the dark might present problems...
#10 fuel plate, AFC mods, straight exhaust, silencer ring...??
99 2500 2wd, quad cab, auto, raptor on frame rail, big line kit, k&n filter right on the turbo.
'07, megacab, 2wd, dually, 6.7, 6 spd auto,
DPF gutted, h&s programmer, jasper turbo.

My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 06-13-2017

CRAP!!!! EH! I hope those words were comforting.
1991.5 W250, onboard air, air shocks, air bags, cranked pump, 58mm billet c/w, 16cm t/h, BD Finned valve covers, aux eng oil cooler, aux fan cooled tranny cooler, BD Diff cover, 1 ton rear wheel cyls, Fisher snow plow
Old 06-14-2017

This is why I have a receiver on the front and back of my truck, so if I have to go backwards I can hook the trailer to the front. Hope it's something simple to fix.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 06-14-2017

Lol...i knew you guys could make me feel better.

And now...my faithful & economical Tranny guy retired & closed up shop June 1st.

He did say probably either the forward input drum or shaft.
I changed the one in my chevy, but I think I'd be better off hauling a day & paying someone to fix it.

Back to the ole faithful 96 I guess.

Yeah, wish I'd bought that suncoast the first time....
99 2500 2wd, quad cab, auto, raptor on frame rail, big line kit, k&n filter right on the turbo.

Old 06-15-2017

your welcome smoke, we're to help. if you need anything else just ask my friend.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 06-16-2017

Don't know about the Suncoast being a better trans.... a buddy bought one of their GM kits for his first gen......P o S is just what it boils down to. We ended up fine tuning what he had we the help of a guy in CO (thanks MAX) and his hasn't had any trouble since. Good luck smoke.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 06-17-2017

JFJ, I've read some mixed reviews myself on suncoast.
Seems the majority are well pleased, they come mostly well recommended, but I have found a few who broke them, and broke them and.....
Course, anything "can" be broken I suppose.
I believe a full suncoast build, not just their kit is the way to go cause they make other modifications when they build them.
I do wish Colorado was about 1000 miles closer....

So now....
Do I wanna put another $5-6k in an 07 with 360k miles...?
One "source" suggested that above 300k I should expect rear end troubles, head gasket issues, and turbo failure...but the last has already been replaced and the engine itself has been trouble free so far.

Guess I gotta put it in something to get back up and running instead of walking.
Local shop says about $800 to replace the forward drum...If that's the problem...with a stock one. I asked about a better one & he said he'd have to check. I've heard this story before from others regarding that place....they don't know about upgrades or improvements.

Found some remans online around $3000 with 3 yr, 100k mi warranty.
I have no lofty visions that these units will last 100k under this kind of use, but at least it's warrantied when it breaks.

Have a possible source for a very reasonably priced, nearly new Allison out of a H2 hummer...newer ones have a 6.2 gasser and Allison.
Looking up the rest of the parts for a conversion.

Last edited by smokediver; 06-17-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Old 06-18-2017
Super Moderator

Where have you seen that the 6.2 has an Allison behind it? Alot get confused because the 6l80e is about the same size. I have a 2010 Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2l and it has a 6l80e behind it all wheel drive. Look on the pan it says Allison all over it. Plus it has an external screw on filter that the 6l doesn't have.

If you can get your hands on an Allison and do the coversion you will love it. I love mind they are worth their weight in gold.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV

Last edited by HerkyBird2001; 06-18-2017 at 12:30 AM..
Old 06-20-2017

I havent seen it... A guy I work with has a brother who does hummer conversions in Kansas.
He was just out there and said he had it sitting in his shop floor.
He actually puts the 6L80 in his conversions...he said...behind a duramax, and gets 20 something mpg outa them

A pro in Ohio told me the allison conversion doesn't work as well as it does in a chevy cause the stand alone controller can't defuel the engine when shifting so they shift rough and it's harder on the tranny.

Also learned Freightliner puts the 6.7 and allison in the newer FL70.
Them and Dodge are first cousins, but not sure how that controller would work with a Dodge chassis

I hate to throw away the upgrades I've already done, but I'm leaning more toward a factory reman with a warranty cause I feel sure I'll break it again.

Anybody had experience with "Go Powertrain?"
They offer upgraded remans rated to tow 10k with 200 extra hp, 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, $4650 including shipping and core return and a 5 disk converter.
$3950 rated for 100 extra hp and 4k towing.
I'll put at least 50k mi a year on it.

A suncoast runs up over 6 grand before your done....

Last edited by smokediver; 06-20-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 06-26-2017

Question for the experienced 6.7 owners...

What's the next weak link after the forward input drum?
If that's what broke, what would be next,.. or if that was replaced and the wear surfaces, clutches/bands, are fresh should I be good for a while..?