Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 11-08-2003

Default MAP Sensor Cleaning

How does one clean the MAP sensor or can it be cleaned like the IAT Sensor?
03 2500 CTD Quad Cab 4dr, 6sp, 3:73 Gears,Edge EZ Chip,Stock Air Induction, 48000 Miles
Old 11-08-2003

Default Re: MAP Sensor Cleaning

The MAP sensor is generally replaced if it is faulty. Sometimes it gets dirty of a turbo has been leaking oil into the intake, and that can be cleaned with ether.

Usually the MAP sensor will set a code.

You can check the MAP sensor on the truck to some extent. Turn the key on and measure the voltage on the orange wire of the harness to ground. It should be very close to 5 volts. Then check the continuity with an ohmmeter between the black/light blue on the harness side to the ground. It should have continuity. If the voltage checks and there is continuity, and you still have a fault code, replace the sensor.
Any comments, suggestions, or instructions offered by me only apply to off-road and non-emission regulated use. Anytime I ever used or may use reference to highway performance, it is purely as an academic reference only.
Old 11-09-2003

Another source for oil contamination is if you use a filter like a K&N. It can cause a build up on the MAF element. Especially if over oiled.

Electrical contact cleaner can be used. Some people have success with this, and some don't. If you suspect a dead maf, then it can't hurt. But like oregonpharmer said, it will throw a code. I am nervous in saying "sure go ahead" in case you have a problem after. While I have not done this on a dodge, I have used contact cleaner on a regular basis on my GMC and my Jetta TDI (the Jetta is famous for a bad MAF). It really helps on the jetta, and I can feel the difference. You can buy the contact cleaner at electronic shops and good auto supply stores. Just be careful. Depending upon style of MAF, you have either a foil element or extremely thin wires (or both) and can be damaged easily. Don't touch the element at all, don't use high pressure air, and make sure it is completely dry before plugging back in and starting vehicle (i am assuming you removed the MAF for cleaning).

Hope this helps, Kevin
97, auto, tow package, EGT, trans & boost gauge, 3K GSK, #10 plate, 4" exhaust, bilstiens, HTS performance race-tow hybrid tranny
2005 Passat TDI "mini" oil burner
Old 11-09-2003
Administrator

I would be more inclined to clean sensors with contact cleaner than something like brake clean. Would also spray out the connector plug and use some dialectric grease around the rubber seal also.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo