DieselRam.com

DieselRam.com (http://www.dieselram.com/forum.php)
-   Technical Info: 1st Generation (http://www.dieselram.com/forumdisplay.php?f=306)
-   -   Keepin the 1st gen section alive (http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=199467)

cougar 02-01-2011 11:14 AM

Keepin the 1st gen section alive

Just wanted to post something to let y'all know were still alive and kickin.;)
Braved the elements this weekend and changed the 10+ year old battery in the 91. Installed one of them Die Hard Platinum group 31m batteries. 1125cca @ 0. The best thing is it has threaded posts as well. So I did some rewiring pulling all them wire off the battery cables and tying them direct to the threaded posts. I also added an additional ground strap. While I was at it I install some heavy gauge wire, relays, and a couple fuses for my H4 headlights. I got brights now baby (100w).:D
I already have the same battery in my 92, I just need to do the same rewiring. Started it but ran out of parts. I also need to grind out the headlight openings to take the H4.

bigreddog 02-01-2011 08:23 PM

Ran out of parts? I bet Nigel was there!

PIGIRON 02-01-2011 08:46 PM

I spiked the punchbowl, and helped myself to some parts.

JoeLuther 02-03-2011 09:34 AM

I gave my 91 to a buddy to fix the roof rust and after cutting off the affected section, he found that the 'good' roof he had sourced for me had rot in the same place. So now I have something like a reverse targa top and the hunt is on for another roof. The only good thing is that just a small part of the windshield mounting surface was affected. The way the roof is designed the windshield flange is a separate part from the roof and there is a triple seam/layer up by the drip edge and that kept the water somewhat isolated from the flange.

I'm going to fix the headliner and pull/clean the carpets etc, my windshield was starting to separate so I get a new windshield but I'm going to lose my vintage Texas inspection decals. Hopefully when it warms up I'll be able to do the KDP and put a new ebrake cable on and fix the Water in Fuel sensor when I change the fuel filter. A lot to do on the old girl but she fired right up last week after sitting outside under a tarp for 3 months in the Ohio winter....I miss her.

cougar 02-03-2011 01:59 PM

I'd say PIGIRON is closer than bigreddog. I'm sure he has a good roof you can take.
Kind of a funny concept though, a 1sr gen with a Mohawk.

JoeLuther 02-04-2011 07:10 AM

I found one at a local junkyard, actually had stainless trim around the raingutter too. Hopefully, that can be salvaged and reinstalled. I have a line on a complete CTD minus driveline but the guy won't decide whether he wants to let it go. Hello, you posted it on CL and said you wanted to part it out! I don't need a title and can dispose of whatever is left and the guy still won't make a decision. So I got a roof elsewhere. The complete is a 90 so it's non intercooled and I can't use the core but I was thinking of trying to mod it to accept my intercooler port.

cougar 02-06-2011 11:06 AM

Glad you found one.
Not sure how much success people have had modifying the non-IC supports. Seems I remember some discussion on there not being enough room behind the grill.

cougar 02-06-2011 02:48 PM

Did the "wilshe" test today.
At high noon it was 0°. Neither truck had been plugged in.
My 92 coughed a couple times then lite off.
My 91 needed a little more coaxing but I'm sure it's my lift pump going tango uniform. After poking it with a curtain rod a few times (the lift pump dummy), it too coughed a couple times then lite off.
The new battery really helperd. Use to not even turn over at 15°.

bigreddog 02-06-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar (Post 1880408)
Did the "wilshe" test today.
At high noon it was 0. Neither truck had been plugged in.
My 92 coughed a couple times then lite off.
My 91 needed a little more coaxing but I'm sure it's my lift pump going tango uniform. After poking it with a curtain rod a few times (the lift pump dummy), it too coughed a couple times then lite off.
The new battery really helperd. Use to not even turn over at 15.

I was wondering what all that smoke was coming from up north.

cougar 02-07-2011 10:09 AM

Internet was down so we were sending up smoke signals.